Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2005, 09:44 PM

Default Re: Possible trend, Anyone else notice this?

Dangerous stuff. Mid tourney UTG I limp with AA. Folded round to BB. Flop: 39x. Lost half my chips to two pair. Neever again.
Old 04-25-2005, 09:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have seen this more and more lately. It's pretty obvious when a guy who always raises does it. If a compulsive limper does it it can be deadly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, this has happened to me. Now whenever an aggro starts limping in from early postion, i hear the warning bells go off.
Old 04-25-2005, 10:50 PM

Gobby,

In certain situations this play will show +EV. Some players do it for the sake of doing it, the good player will apply this maneuver correctly.

If I limp under the gun, knowing the button plays very aggressively and will raise enough from the button to get the limpers to fold..I will limp reraise ....

Shania baby...think of Shania...
Old 04-25-2005, 10:52 PM

Anyway, yes I've noticed the same thing you have and I think the reason for it is to trap/get action on the big hands.

Would you like an El Rey Del Mundo for that that answer...I say that because..give StogeyMike..a cigar....he gave the correct answer [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 04-25-2005, 10:55 PM

It's very +EV if you can then figure out when the BB has 2 pair on a flop like 93x without stacking off. Admittedly, against lots of people this is pretty hard. Against the fair share of Party fish who play 2 pair+ in a specific way, though, you can get away cheap. (Also, as you now have a 1 pair hand vs. any two, prepare to check behind and call a lot.)

If you happen to be 'un'lucky enough to wind up with a 6 way pot, it's actually much much easier to do that, though.
Old 04-25-2005, 10:56 PM

Neever again.

I roller skated once..I fell down...Neever again...Neever again.

Dont let one bad result stop you from doing something that will show a profit in the right situation.
Old 04-26-2005, 10:01 AM

El Rey Del Mundos are indeed excellent, Mike, but my personal preference is the Arturo Fuente Hemmingway. In any case, your taste in cigars is obviously superb and thank you for the validation of my comments...
Old 04-26-2005, 12:22 PM

I think that many of us are so sick of only taking the blinds when 3x betting when we finally get a premium hands (AA/KK), that limping in early position seems almost logical. However, it really depends upon the texture of the table. And Hero must be able to release the hand on a coordinated flop.

If this is a table that looks to "punish" limpers, this can be a very effective play. I'm looking for a very aggro button who likes to pop it up simply because he has position. Or even a BB that will raise with any two, simply to buy the pot. Then hero can push away.