Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2005, 10:37 AM

Default Re: Good Push Situations?

[ QUOTE ]
The first one I flat call hoping the original raiser also calls or pushes. My reasoning is that if the reraiser has AA/KK's and the UTG has AK/AQ and is loose I may be able to win a sidepot from UTG 1 to cover my loss if button does have a bigger pair.

[/ QUOTE ]I fail to see the logic here. If you allow him to call with AK, and the flop dont contain any A or K, you still have to bet and he will fold. So that wont make you any more money.

The only thing you can hope for is if he have AQ and an Q flops. That would make you some money, but its not very likely. And he will fold AJ no matter what, and probably JJ or lower, so you wont have him dominated.

And if the flop does contain an A or K, your play just cost you the whole pot.

Its a lose/lose situation.
Old 03-04-2005, 11:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I fail to see the logic here. If you allow him to call with AK, and the flop dont contain any A or K, you still have to bet and he will fold. So that wont make you any more money.

The only thing you can hope for is if he have AQ and an Q flops. That would make you some money, but its not very likely. And he will fold AJ no matter what, and probably JJ or lower, so you wont have him dominated.

[/ QUOTE ]

My logic is there is now 6000 chips in the middle UTG would be getting 3-1 on his call. He probably has a better than avg hand raising UTG and lets say it is a pair of 99-JJ's. If the flop comes 3 rags he may get action. If UTG raiser is loose he may even call PF with AJ for that big of a pot and when the J hits the flop you then may get action. You may even milk AQ/AJ/AK or a middle pair for some chips with that much money in the pot. Its simply playing QQ's against a separate opponents. You're calling half your stack and are pot committed, with a hand like QQ's I don't see why you would push him out. If he pushes all in Preflop you have to call anyways.
Old 03-04-2005, 11:38 AM

Could you please tell me the name of this book, and is it good? How does it compare to Sklansky's TPFAP?
What all does it cover?
Thank you.
Old 03-04-2005, 02:50 PM

Default Results

I guess my thinking was push to get the other two out, is this a bad idea? If I just call do you think the other two would probably fold. He had A K o. K on turn, A on river.
Old 03-04-2005, 04:01 PM

Default Re: Results

This is why I don't want to push the other 2 out. Flat calling behind may entice 1 or both of the 2 other players into the pot where you may get sucked out and lose your whole atck but you also give yourself a chance to win a nice sidepot and maybe even triple up here. At this point in the tourny its a chance I'm usually willing to take to get a big stack and try and get deep into the money. If you were already in the money and deeper into the tourny then I would reraise all in to try and isolate against the shorter stack. Just my opinion.
Old 03-04-2005, 04:27 PM

Default Re: Results

Thank you, I see what you are saying. I should have mentioned that since I am still trying to feel my way around, this was a low buy in mtt $10. I have seen a lot of people raise strong with hands like A9s, KQ s or o, QJs, or even 98s. I have also seen people push all in (like in this situation) to try and get the others to fold because they don't really want to play the hand. Is my thinking okay here? Does this only happen in lower level and not higher level mtts.

If I just call, and someone else calls the all in, what range of hands would you put them on?

Thanks for all the help.
Old 03-08-2005, 11:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Could you please tell me the name of this book, and is it good? How does it compare to Sklansky's TPFAP?
What all does it cover?
Thank you.

[/ QUOTE ]
Harrington on Hold'em.

It's different from TPFAP in a lot of ways. It's more practical, with focus on real situations and how Harrington would play them. A great book, but it's not as packed with information as some other 2+2 books. So it's an easier read, but might not be worth as many rereads as say SSH.

-Magnus