Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2005, 03:06 PM

Default Re: Would you kill a man who\'s robbing you? (long)

[ QUOTE ]
So the only other option is to shoot him as he leaves which, I think is wrong because he is no longer a threat.

[/ QUOTE ]

and i agree shooting in this case is wrong.

in fact there was a recent case where a convenience store owner was found guilty of charges. he was being robbed and the guy was fleeing the store and the owner shot him as he was fleeing. the court determined the owner was no longer in harm's way.

i tried to google this case but cant find it. i just read about it this week though.

bwana
Old 12-19-2005, 03:10 PM

Would you kill a man who's robbing you?

Certainly not. But I'd cripple a guy who was attacking me with a knife.

~D
Old 12-19-2005, 03:12 PM

There have probably been any number of cases like that all over the country.
Old 12-19-2005, 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How do you guys handle a knife pulled on ya? Here's all mine:

1) A guy pulls it out - it's a nasty-looking stilleto, he's holding it like he knows how to use it - but he's mistaken me for a bouncer(!) in a club - one of whom has taken his girl (ie she left him for this bouncer).

I talked him around, that I wasn't a bouncer, we shake hands, end of drama.

2) A little turd and his gang called me 'lurch' or 'jaws' or something talking about my size while I was running, so I stopped and approached him. He pulled out a knife, but he looked like he was gonna faint. I remembered my 'warriors' (the movie), and told him to put it away or I'd stick it up his ass. He did, and said sorry.

3) A guy in the street (nutter I think) just pulled it out and started to call me every name under the sun. I backed away, and just walked around him, giving him a big space. He just ranted on, and stayed there. Ahh, just some nut.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good reads, all 3 well played.
Old 12-19-2005, 03:32 PM

In the circumstances described, if I have easy access to a gun (if it's under my pillow, for instance), I'm shooting the guy in the chest, repeatedly. It's all about self-preservation, and has nothing to do with me wanting to "protect" my stuff.

For all I know, the guy is mentally unstable and has every intention of killing me, regarless of whether I resist or not. I'm not going to wait to find out whether or not he's going to let me live. As soon as he enters my bedroom I'm assuming the worst and am protecting myself.

Now, if I'm in my house and I see someone outside breaking into my car, I'm not going out there and shooting him. I'm calling the cops. If I'm in my home and startle a robber and he runs for the door, I'm not shooting him in the back. I'm letting him escape. I'm only killing an intruder if I feel that my life is in danger, not to protect my belongings. I have insurance to recover my belongings.

And for those of you who think that it's a good idea to shoot an intruder in the leg, or the arm, this is not a practical solution. When you shoot someone (especially with a small caliber gun), it doesn't knock them down like in the movies. It usually takes a second or two for the person to realize he's been shot. If you pull out a gun, the robber is likely to charge at you to take it away from you, so if you need to be shooting to stop him dead in his tracks. If you shoot him in the shoulder, he'll keep coming at you with his knife, and *you'll* be the one to end up dead. You also stand a greater chance of missing if you aim anywhere other than centre of mass. And if you miss, you've escalated the situation to the point where the robber feels like he's fighting for his life, and will be looking to kill you.

You need to shoot to kill, or not at all. Things happen too quickly for you to try to get "cute" with a gun.
Old 12-19-2005, 03:34 PM

For those of you who have been around OOT long enough you know my answer to this question.

Big Steve [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 12-19-2005, 03:49 PM

Would I kill a person who's robbing me?
In a heartbeat.
If was in a good mood, I might even kill someone who was robbing you.
Old 12-19-2005, 03:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For those of you who have been around OOT long enough you know my answer to this question.

Big Steve [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

in texas i think you may have been charged. there was a somewhat similiar case here in austin about 10 years ago and the woman was convicted (although i forget the exact offense).

edit to add: some of the circumstances are dissimilar but i think there may be enough that bigsteve would have problems.

bwana
Old 12-19-2005, 04:49 PM

Default My suggestion :

Rob the man who's killing you.
Old 12-19-2005, 06:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know if I'd be able to kill him. I'd like to think that I could, but I just don't know.

Anyway, what happened to the guy? Did he get arrested? Did you get your stuff back?

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't get my stuff back. The guy got probation. Isn't that messed up? He had an arrested warrant elsewhere too.