Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2004, 02:34 AM

Default Would you play this differently?

Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, Hero calls, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB calls, BB calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (16 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(8 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+2 checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks, MP3 checks, Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets</font>, SB folds, BB folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, Hero calls.

I don't really love my hand drawing to the bottom end with a 2 flush and a paired board likely to have hit limpers. On the other hand I'm getting 18:1 and I think thats too big of an overlay to ignore with an oesd.

Turn: (9.50 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
MP1 checks, Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets</font>, MP1 calls, Hero calls.

I still don't like it but I'm getting 11.5:1

River: (12.50 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero calls, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, MP1 calls, Hero calls.

The bet in front of me screams of QJ, but I call because of the pot size. I call the last raise because I'm closing the betting and the raiser is pretty crazy, but he can't steal the pot here so I'm thinking that I will lose to a full house.

Final Pot: 18.50 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 18.50 BB, between MP1, Hero and Button.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Button (18.50 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
MP1 shows Js Qd (straight, queen high).
Hero shows 6s 7s (straight, ten high).
Button shows 9s 9d (full house, nines full of eights).
Outcome: Button wins 18.50 BB. </font>

I posted this because I didn't really ever feel comfortable that I had a good chance of winning. I just sat there hitting the call button like a fish because of the pot size. Fishy or good play?
Old 06-18-2004, 01:32 PM

Default Re: Would you play this differently?

I'd play it the same way up until the river. On the river, I'm not convinced that MP1 has QJ, unless it's QcJc. Would he call all the way with 2 overcards and a gutshot when the board has a pair and a flush draw? I think it's much more likely that he has an 8. The only question is whether his kicker gives him a full house or not. It looks like the button may have a pocket pair, so when MP1 bets into you on the river, you can either call and hope that the button overcalls with his pair or you can raise and, assuming that the button folds, MP1 might even re-raise with his 8 (at which point you would just call). Either play is fine.

I just read the results, so I guess the above is wrong cause MP1 did have QJo. Oh well, at least you didn't lose any extra on the river.
Old 06-18-2004, 03:38 PM

With eight players seeing the flop here, I would treat this hand as a 3-outer (5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]). Even then, you could be drawing dead. I call the flop bet, then it goes into the muck on the turn.
Old 06-18-2004, 03:48 PM

You played it correctly.
-James