Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2004, 11:45 PM

Default KK hates me.. no really..

And I hate KK too. I started playing poker a year ago, and ever since then I've had sooooooo many bad beats when I held KK. Its gotten so bad that every time I get KK I start to panic, like how the **** am I going to lose this one.. and it seems I almost always do, usually in horrific ways. The scars are REALLY starting to cut deep with KK.. its a terrible feeling of dread. I get KK and even if I make a set someone else is hitting their gutshot straight or runner runner flush or 2 outer or something to run over this hand. I've -seriously- considered folding the damn pair rather than having to deal with yet another bad beat but I know thats not a reasonable response.

Do others have a certain hand that fills them with panic and dread, and if so how do you handle it? I know this is silly but the losses with KK are really starting to get to me... taking the fun outa poker.

thx...
Old 10-06-2004, 03:39 AM

Default Re: KK hates me.. no really..

Don't take it personally, but I think the KKK hates everyone, and not just you. But what does that have to do with poker? Oh wait...
Old 10-06-2004, 05:57 AM

Push with them! Your fear is probably evoking tighter/weaker play post-flop, allowing people to catch up to you. Self fulfilling prophecy. That said, my nemisis is AJo. I'm just a bumbling idiot when it comes to this hand.
Old 10-06-2004, 08:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Push with them! Your fear is probably evoking tighter/weaker play post-flop, allowing people to catch up to you. Self fulfilling prophecy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh no, I push like a 9 month pregnant woman... big time, probably too much... which makes the losses even more devastating. I do everything I can to knock the draws out but continuously get sucked out on. Scary scary scary...
Old 10-06-2004, 09:55 AM

In a low limit no fold'em Hold'em game where seven or eight players call your raise to see the flop, fold as soon as you see an Ace. If there are four or five opponents drawing to a straight or flush the odds are against you. It does not matter who makes two pair or better. You are beat if any one of them makes a hand. The fact that all of them are playing poorly does not help. Against that many opponents, over half of the remaining cards will make two pair or better for somebody. Their combined expected value adds up against you. Continue to play Kings and make them pay to draw out on you. If you were delt pocket kings every hand you would make money in a not so long run. Give no free cards. The trick is to recognize as soon as possible that you are beat and fold. Another option is to move up in limit where raises are respected.

If it makes you feel any better, I have seen much more money lost with JJ in $500.00 buy-in no limit games.

Gimpy
Old 10-06-2004, 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In a low limit no fold'em Hold'em game where seven or eight players call your raise to see the flop, fold as soon as you see an Ace.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 10-06-2004, 02:26 PM

if you were dealt KK every hand and just check/called to the river every time (in limit) ... I'm pretty sure you'd be a winning player. Don't give up on 'em. They should technically be your 2nd biggest $ maker
Old 10-06-2004, 06:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Its gotten so bad that every time I get KK I start to panic, like how the **** am I going to lose this one.. and it seems I almost always do, usually in horrific ways.

[/ QUOTE ]

You cannot win at poker by focusing on your own cards. The next few times you are dealt KK play deliberately. Focus on the other players in the hand. Just because you are likely in the lead does not mean you just shut down your brain and ram chips into the pot. By the way, I do find it much more fun drawing to the nuts than trying to protect KK...TH.
Old 10-06-2004, 06:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
KK hates me

[/ QUOTE ]

Hate him back. It works for me.

~D
Old 10-07-2004, 03:18 PM

Thanks everybody for the comments and suggestions. Just a note - so far today I've gotten KK 6 times, and have won with all 6! Those poker gods sure are funny sometimes... But its nice to have things -finally- work out with KK for a change. I pushed em pretty hard and the only thing I might coulda done better was value bet on the river a few times... I guess I was being paranoid tho.

L8r...