Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2005, 06:12 PM

Default Table Selection

I'm about to start playing $0.05/$0.1 at PokerStars and while finding great tables should be terribly easy, I'd like some advice on what to look for/what to avoid to increase my chances. Should I look for a loose/passive table? Should I stray from loose/aggressive tables? Obviously any tight tables I should stray away from, there isn't enough dead money there.

I've read bisonbison's post on evaluating your opponents and he makes that point that any table is good if you can pick a seat that gives you position on some really bad players. What do ya'll use to evaluate and identify such players? I just have the trial version of PT (for now), but I've heard that PT can be used effectively to identify bad opponents. Any tips would be much appreciated.
Old 07-07-2005, 06:24 PM

Default Re: Table Selection

if you are just beginning poker, i wouldn't really worry about table selection too much, you will run into the different, yet common garden-variety styles sooner or later, it is your job to adjust to them.

but to answer your question

i don't use PT, getting it soon. As far as stars goes, just find the biggest table you can find with an open seat with the highest see flop %(since stars provides that)

pretty much any table is profitable as long as your opponents are consistantly making some sort of mistake. (too loose, too tight, too passive, too agressive)
Old 07-07-2005, 06:29 PM

Default Re: Table Selection

I play at party, so there I use avg pot size to identify possibly good tables. ~6bb/hand is juicy (at .5/1 they should be pretty easy to find). Once I've found a couple tables like this, I'll watch them to see how many people are going to the flop. If there are 5 or more seeing the flop regularly, I'll sit down. This should be a very easy, simplistic game to beat. Those standards are semi-reletively high, but not all that uncommon at the micros.

If stars provides % players seeing the flop, you can skip all of that and play at a table with >40% seeing the flop.

Go for loose/passive over loose/aggressive games if you can choose, as they're much easier to play against.

At this level table selection isn't all that important, because most tables have enough poor players to make them profitable. The higher you go up the more important it becomes.