Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2005, 11:37 PM

Default Re: Hand vs Carlos Mortensen in Bellagio 3K

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone else find it incredible that Carlos had a ten high flush? Shaniac bet into several people on a coordinated board on the flop, and then on the turn made a weak lead type bet when the board paired, and three bet when he was raised. It was a pretty good read by Carlos to go to the felt with that action.

[/ QUOTE ]

Given that they have played together before, and Carlos repeatedly owns shane, I'm not surprised.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:38 PM

and i find it interesting that carlos was raising w/ t5 sooted 3rd to act

he must know the little known piece of poker information that i have become privy to, T5 makes every possible straight in hold'em.

rough hand btw shaniac....
Old 12-08-2005, 12:07 AM

BTF I like your call, or I should say I don't hate it. You
have tremendous implied odds in a deepstacked tournament. I don't mind playing garbage when I can flop something big.

Comes the flop in a multiway pot I have to figure that bottom pair without a spade is unlikely to be the best hand at the time, make the best hand with two cards to come, or
take down the pot with a bet. I admire your courage but
I think checking and folding is the best course of action.

Given how you played the hand you are in a tough spot on the turn. It's difficult for Carlos to put you on a deuce
but on the other hand if he pushes with three spades on the flop with an Ace on the board I would figure he has a made hand already and is trying to protect it. As it turns out he had a flush and you were in a world of hurt. The only
possible hand you could be ahead of at the time would be
an Ace with a spade draw. Against a flopped set you're drawing close to dead, and against a flush you need help.
Given what I know about Carlos and my observations playing
with him a few times, I don't think early in an event like
this he's going to push unless he's getting the best of it.
He has after all played against you and I would put him on
a better hand than yours.

It's overly simplistic to preach that if you didn't play the hand to begin with you wouldn't have gotten in this predicament. You played the hand and on the turn you had
decisions to make, albeit, the decisions left a bit to be
desired prior to the turn.

I could start a website based on all my stupid decisions
playing poker and life in general. Let's not repeat them.

Bruce
Old 12-08-2005, 12:22 AM

Default Re: Results and stuff

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It sounds like this great player is inside your head and you arent thinking straight. Or maybe you just need to start putting together more solid thought processes than:

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with just about everything you said, as summed up by that passage.

I didn't post this hand as an example of a shining moment in clarity.

Carlos had Ts5s. I lost.

Not sure why I posted the hand now. I do apologize if my reasoning, or lack thereof, justifications and mistakes in this hand rubbed people the wrong way. I'll try to post hands that work smoothly and don't reek of simple mistakes in the future.

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely post them, just put "I know I screwed this up" at the top so you don't get a bunch of people trying to figure out why your line is really clever [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].
Old 12-08-2005, 12:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Given that they have played together before, and Carlos repeatedly owns shane, I'm not surprised.

[/ QUOTE ]

I played with him once before in Paris, and felt like I was outplayed by him, perhaps even outmatched. Not really "repeatedly" but I guess I wasn't clear.

It's amazing how literally and in-a-box everything gets taken around here. I dunno, I just presented a little color to the story. I used a little bit of hyperbole. Carlos doesn't literally own me.

What I meant to say is: Although I feel pretty good playing against just about anyway, I have a difficult time reading and reacting to Carlos.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It sounds like this great player is inside your head and you arent thinking straight. Or maybe you just need to start putting together more solid thought processes than:

[/ QUOTE ]

Carlos had Ts5s. I lost.

Not sure why I posted the hand now. I do apologize if my reasoning, or lack thereof, justifications and mistakes in this hand rubbed people the wrong way. I'll try to post hands that work smoothly and don't reek of simple mistakes in the future.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm really not here to criticize the way you played this one. But, I find that posting hands like this help me to figure out what was going through my head at that time in an effort to avoid repeating itself. I love the hands around here that involve tough decisions, but imo a lot of the respected posters around here don't post hands in which they made a silly error on. Poker is a game in which the winner usually makes the least amount of mistakes. The way to avoid making mistakes is to learn from the ones that you or someone else has already made. On that note (I haven't read through the entire thread yet so excuse this if you already have said so,) I am curious as to why you played the hand in the way that you did.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Carlos had Ts5s. I lost.

[/ QUOTE ]

On that note (I haven't read through the entire thread yet so excuse this if you already have said so,) I am curious as to why you played the hand in the way that you did.

[/ QUOTE ]

read the damn thread, hes already given his reasons, duh.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
On that note ( I haven't read through the entire thread yet so excuse this if you already have said so, ) I am curious as to why you played the hand in the way that you did.

read the damn thread, hes already given his reasons, duh.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's one in every group....
Old 12-08-2005, 03:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The mini raise just reeks of strength to me. No?

[/ QUOTE ]

in my experience, i think the mini-raise seems to be used when:

a newbie/donk is really weak and holds a mediocre hand or wants to bluff without risking many chips

OR

a savvy player who is looking to feign weakness in order to induce their opponent to come over the top of their monster hand

i don't think Carlos falls into the "newbie/donk" category.
Old 12-08-2005, 04:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The mini raise just reeks of strength to me. No?

[/ QUOTE ]

in my experience, i think the mini-raise seems to be used when:

a newbie/donk is really weak and holds a mediocre hand or wants to bluff without risking many chips

OR

a savvy player who is looking to feign weakness in order to induce their opponent to come over the top of their monster hand

i don't think Carlos falls into the "newbie/donk" category.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your argument is that a player is exceptionally talented and therefore the amount of his bet reveals his cards to you.

Now, are you sure that's what you want to go with? Because I believe you only have so long before you can no longer edit your comment.