Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-21-2005, 02:58 PM

Default Low limit studplayers: is the best play in poker costing you $$

Yes, it's true. You may be folding too much. Since the 2-4 games started at Party, I've made some crazy calls. Often I've felt like a fool, when I click in my final bet and am shown a huge hand. But far more than often enough, I see pots coming my way that it seemed sure I couldn't win.

I'm not talking about head up play here. I'm talking about games with from 5-8 players. I was struck by this after winning large multiway pots this morning with a pair of fives. Yes that's right. Now in that one, no one had much, three were left on the river, one bet, one fold and I called getting 11-1 odds, against a known lag. But still....

Then, sitting at a table with Roland, I started out strong with split aces, got three callers, on fifth there are two three flushes and one paired door. It's bet on fifth by the paired door, called, I call, the three flush behind me pops it, we all call. Sixth I catch my second pair, the three flush bets, we all call. River same way. I'm crushed here, probably shouldn't have called the raise on fifth. Nope, MHIG and I win a 20bb pot.

Of course you still want to get out early in small pots with negative implied odds. Of course you want to make folds where you are sure you're beat.

But when you're not sure, there's money to be made in calling.