Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-14-2005, 08:25 PM

Default 9\'s vs. potential river steal and one overcard

Pokerstars $2/$4 NL. I'm UTG+1 with 99. Table seems fairly unexciting...not too passive or aggressive, not too loose or tight. I decide to limp and go for set value. Cutoff raises to $12. SB folds, BB calls. I call. No real reads on anyone.

Flop comes T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Pot is $38.

BB checks. Since there is no draw, I decide to I lead the flop for $20. If the CO calls, I think I may be beat and may give up the hand since there are no real draws out there that I can imagine he would be after. Of course, I'm folding to a raise. CO (preflop raiser) smooth-calls. BB folds. I don't like it that much. I guess he may have an overpair and just wants me to bet it for him (or he has AK and is dumb and is calling to hit an A or K).

Turn comes 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] giving me a gutshot in addition to my pair. Pot is $78.

I check. CO checks behind me. Maybe I was wrong in thinking he has an overpair.

River comes 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Pot is still $78.

In my head, my options are to bet (since he won't be able to call much with that board unless he has a set or straight) or check/call depending on his bet size. I figure that the first option is not good since I will only get a call if I'm beat and the second option gives him a chance to bluff. I check. He bets $35.

Easy call, right? I'm working on a lot of holes and this is one area that I'm not always sure about. What hands could he have here?

What if he bets the pot or three-quarters of the pot on the river?

Also, what if he bets half-pot on the turn? Easy fold?

Results to come...