Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2005, 08:51 PM

Default Testing a table

I must've caught David_C Disease. Check out this hand:

PokerStars 0.50/1.00 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. MP2 posts a blind of $0.50.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 (poster) calls, CO calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>.

Flop: (9.50 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>...

I sat down at a 6-handed table and posted 6 hands earlier. The table had picked up a couple of players as we went around, and I was catching a HUGE whiff of weak-tight (on my second hand I stole the BB from the SB when it was folded to me). I raised a marginal hand preflop planning to bet out any flop and gauge the reaction of the table.

Anything?
Old 09-08-2005, 09:01 PM

Default Re: Testing a table

not from utg+1...

to be honest, i think this is pointless.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
not from utg+1...

to be honest, i think this is pointless.

[/ QUOTE ]

Valid. I'm effing around while I make supper, sitting at this table, thinking to myself, "Holy crap, these guys aren't playing anything. Let's see if I can push a whole table off a pot." Just curious if anybody tried anything like this as a "regular" play.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:11 PM

well if you're just trying it, then it can't be a regular play right?

by the way i thought this was a full table. this really isn't too much of a stretch. i routinely raise ATo UTG at 6 handed tables, and you're raising A9o at a tight 7-handed table (after UTG folds). that said, doesn't ATo seem so much stronger than A9o? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 09-08-2005, 09:11 PM

I like this. Not all the time. Just this one time. If you come at this hand with the goal "maximize ev everytime I see something like this." It's not so good.

But sometimes you need to test the limits. Those tests can cost you money. If you are willing to invest to test your read skill, I think it's great.

Other than that. Fold PF, Flop Raise would be better if you had a [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] or two.