Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2005, 09:39 AM

Default Re: Your Initial Reaction to Losing?

AK and 88, them's the breaks. I got called by a better hand. I move on.

K4, I roll my eyes a bit, make a note on that player, and start up a new tournament.

AJ, I'll admit, I get a little miffed by, but that's just because my internal pattern mapper keeps telling me I lose a lot more that I should to hands I'm dominating, and won't listen to reason (that I'm just imagining that). I'll groan a bit, probably wait a little while before starting up the tournament to take the place of that one to be a bit more sure I'm ready to move on (I play continuously, so normal would be to immediately start up another to replace the one I was just knocked out of).

It's when that last one doesn't bother me, even in the moment, that I'll know I've got the right mindset down.
Old 09-21-2005, 09:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
EYE
DON'T
WATCH

as soon as i push, i min the screen, and go about business at another table (or here [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]). soon enough, i'll get the "you lost your ass - OK" button...or prompted to act in the next hand (with my nice big pile of new-found chips!).

i simply do not care to see how/which way the "sucking" went. i pushed because i felt is was the proper thing to do. at that point, it's out of my hands.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thats a great idea, unfortunately I know I don't have the discpline to do that and even if I minimize the screen I will probably look at the hand history when it is over. The other problem is if you are pushing against a guy who you have no notes or reads on, you are potentially losing important information which will help you later.
Old 09-21-2005, 07:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Then if it was a super retard that jacked me I stay and heckle them for awhile until they lose and it makes me feel better.

[/ QUOTE ]
No offense to you, but it really annoys me when people take the time to stick around after busting just to be an idiot in the chatbox... especially at the higher limits...
Old 09-21-2005, 07:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've yet to actually break anything but I've sure wanted to.

[img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

you handle stuff better than i do, i go through swings. sometimes i just shrug, othertimes i get pretty po'd.

headphones are usually the victim. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 09-21-2005, 08:15 PM

My reaction to a loss is definitely affected by how many tables I've got left and what shape they're in. If I've got three or more left and a couple of them are in decent shape then I'm a little zen butterfly. I smile beatifically and nod and sometimes will even say "nice hand, sir, very nice hand," aloud. I spend another five seconds or so thinking about how I went broke and whether it was a good play or not. I move on to the next flashing screen with a smile and hope blooming in my heart.

If I only have a table or two left, or all of my remaining tables are short-stacked and in bad shape, I tend to react a little differently. The first instant reaction is to SMASH my fist onto my desk, shaking both monitors and normally shrieking at the top of my lungs an innovative combo curse, like duckf*** or *ssturbulentf***ingmothers***f***goddamnit!" I can normally move on after about ten or so seconds but I do tend to fume for a few solid seconds.
Old 09-21-2005, 08:16 PM

I usually say a quick GFD and open another tourney.
Old 09-21-2005, 08:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You have 8-10 BB with 5 left and push AQ.

[/ QUOTE ]

i hate pushing with this many bb.
Old 09-21-2005, 09:04 PM

I think I get more mad when I get called by a better hand because it causes me to doubt my play.

Like I haven't gotten a hand all tourney and I'm down to 6 BB, I push with JJ and get called by AA. WTF.

Or I make some aggressive pushes and get called by crap, but it's crap that dominates me (like say I push with J5 in the SB and he calls with Q5).
Old 09-21-2005, 09:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

(Incidentally, I almost made a post one time about being the biggest idiot in the world.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would of been no need for that... in my eyes, you already are! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Okay i wont exaggerate, you're not the biggest idiot, but you're up there! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 09-21-2005, 09:17 PM

This is WHY i believe i'm mentally one of the best players in the WORLD! Bad beats- who cares? For a forum that hates bad beat posts why let this thread carry on... Mods please lock this up... I'll put in my 0.02 in tho... Doesn't bother me in the slightest if i push with a bad hand and get called and beaten with an equally bad hand. If anything, i'm more annoyed at myslef for not noticing i was pushing into a loose caller rather then getting annoyed with the caller. If i'm raising with a genuine monster and get outdrawn by trash also doesn't affect me in the slightest as i know if it weren't for these morons on party i wouldn't make nearly as much money. Can't see how any half decent player who plays a lot of games would get even slightly annoyed by losing. Not even I (MOI!) can win em all!