Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2005, 03:24 PM

Default To Stake, Be Staked, or Stay Away...

*CROSS POSTED IN POKER THEORY*

Do you guys have any problem being staked or staking friends in either a cash-game or tournament?

How much and/or little does the actual cash you are staking or being staked have to be in relation to the cash flow / net worth of yourself or the staker.

I only ask because some friends and I are about to take on a 100% backer for tournaments.

P.S. - backer is a friend of ours who has basic poker knowledge but not enough skills to play in the bigger games / tournaments.
Old 11-08-2005, 03:30 PM

Default Re: To Stake, Be Staked, or Stay Away...

Being staked on a bankroll by friends is a bad idea IMO. When it comes down to serious money being put out, it turns from a friendly adventure into business. Friends and business don't mix too well together. Like water and oil if something goes wrong.

If you need the stake, and all have agreed, I guess I don't see a problem with it. As long as you're willing to risk your friendship on the stake. Money does strange things to people.

There are probably plenty of people out there who have been staked by friends. Personally I wouldn't do it.
Old 11-11-2005, 03:45 PM

I'm curious how staking arrangements are structured. If a backer pays 100% of your entry fee, what is a typical deal structure? Does he get 80% of your winnings? or X return on the entry and then divide up the remainder of the prize money? just curious...
Old 11-11-2005, 04:24 PM

If you can make the money 30-40% of the time why would you ever agree to be staked?