Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2005, 01:37 AM

Default good bluff?

Pf was probably pretty dumb. I have been playing like [censored] recently and have been trying out differnt lines. In conclusion I found out that 90% of my experimental lines are horrible.

I figured noone really had a hand on the flop and I might as well juice the pot a bit and feign a strong hand.

Mainly I want comments on the flop and turn since I really doubt I will ever play like that again pf.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (10 handed) converter

MP1 ($123.60)
MP2 ($205)
MP3 ($200)
Hero ($275.25)
Button ($252.90)
SB ($196)
BB ($184.70)
UTG ($234)
UTG+1 ($184.30)
UTG+2 ($180.70)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $1.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls $2, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, Hero calls $2, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $4</font>, SB (poster) calls $3, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls $2, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $10</font>, Button calls $6, SB folds, UTG+1 calls $6.

Flop: ($36) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $25</font>, Button folds, UTG+1 calls $25.

Turn: ($86) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $70</font>,
Old 09-28-2005, 04:53 AM

Default Re: good bluff?

Well given the way you played it preflop, I think your flop play is fine.

The only problem is he called. So you have to slow down here on the turn. Check and take the free card. Then fold to a good size bet on the river. You're probably up against a better pair.
Old 09-28-2005, 04:58 AM

UTG+1 seems to have got caught up in all the pre-flop raising, it's really unlikely he has a big hand. He either has hit a set, but then you'd assume he'd bet out at this. Or in my opinion has a flush draw, is he really so bad to call down here with a pair of 9's, considering you're representing a big pocket pair... I like the play post-flop to be honest.

p.s. JeanieJ, is it the same Jeanie who used to post at TPF? Few guys are asking after you over there, wondering where ya been!
Old 09-28-2005, 05:17 AM

The one and only, though I don't post much anywhere anymore.
Old 09-28-2005, 05:24 AM

As for the hand, I don't see why you would assume he would bet out a set here. I usually don't assume players are as experienced or learned in the game as I am. I notice far too many players like to slow play sets on scarey boards. He could very well have a set or overpair.

The point is you don't want to go too nuts with this hand. You have one pair, it's not even top pair, and it should be fairly easy to get away from.

I know the OP didn't want comments on the preflop play, but you preflop mistakes effect how you play out the rest of the hand. By limp reraising preflop, you set yourself up to bet a board like this and get yourself stuck when you're called. There's no need to make your choices harder than they need be. Play for set value and you wont run into problems like this.
Old 09-28-2005, 05:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I know the OP didn't want comments on the preflop play, but you preflop mistakes effect how you play out the rest of the hand. By limp reraising preflop, you set yourself up to bet a board like this and get yourself stuck when you're called. There's no need to make your choices harder than they need be. Play for set value and you wont run into problems like this.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree entirely. As for them not betting out their set here... well it's a fair comment from Jeanie they may be slow-playing it. I just assumed at NL200 the players there would know better. I only play at NL25 so no experience quite what the play is like up there at 200.
Old 09-28-2005, 05:48 AM

Just curious - what sort of line were you experimenting with here preflop? Building a pot in case you hit a set, or trying to take the pot?

I personally wouldn't do the first - but with the weak raising/calling preflop, I can't help but put my opponents on medium-to-weak holdings and occasionally go for good sized raise here (round $20) to try and take it. This would also give a continuation bet on a non-scary board more credit. If I get raised - I'm done.

As for your flop play - I think I would have bet more here, and just a call would be enough for me to give it up right there.

As for the turn ... you got yourself in trouble now. If he's really got nothing, a smaller bet would be enough for him to give up (I doubt he called the flop bet with a flushdraw), but it is more likely he's got you beat, will call the $70 and then come out blasting on the river, where all you can do is fold...