Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Should I?
Yes - Go for it, everyone loves those because they always fail 27 69.23%
No - don't be a dweeb and waste space 12 30.77%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-25-2005, 11:32 AM

Default Re: Did you Like Napolean Dynamite?

Personally, I thought the movie was friggin' hilarious. But I understand that it takes a certain sense of humor to enjoy that sort of thing. Someone mentioned Punch Drunk Love earlier - I think people who liked Dynamite will like that movie - similar weird humor. I thought Punch Drunk was great and Adam Sandler's performance, in my opinion, was worthy of consideration for one of the million awards that are out there.

As for the criticism of the acting in Dynamite, I honestly think that the "bad" acting was part of the humor. It's not that they can't act, it's that the "terrible" acting style contributes more to the goofiness of the characters.

By the way, check out these pictures of the cast. There are some pictures of what John Heder looks like normally - weird seeing him not look like a loser. Same with Kip. He's actually a decent looking guy.
Old 02-25-2005, 11:42 AM

Default Re: Did you Like Napolean Dynamite?

I saw this movie last night, by chance, and this thread was bumped up this morning...

My thoughts -- No, I didn't particularly like the movie. It struck me very similar to Punch Drunk Love: A very well made movie from a very poor story. Or lack of story. Both films, however, have gotten great reviews from people I respect and so it's obviously a personal-taste issue.

I did think it was well made, and everyone seems to cite it as "quirky," as if this is enough.

I found little to identify with -- the characters don't seem to take action upon themselves to effect a change, there's little motivation and many characters are simply not likeable anyways. And while you don't, maybe, need "likeable characters" you can identify with to make a movie enjoyable I do think there usually exists similarities in motivation between a movie or character and a viewer.

Ultimately, we see... Pedro elected, through no action of his own, and Napoleon dance, but why? The only two characters who actually seem to change on their own also seem to be the two least-likeable. The Uncle, who begins selling crap products and I guess begins dating a "client." He's a sleazebag living in the past, but he takes the most steps towards changing his own life. And Napoleon's brother (is this right?) who apparently meets his "soul-mate" in an internet chatroom.

There's a lot in the movie to think about, I guess. And parts of it did make me laugh. But no, I didn't like it. It did not appeal to me. But it was very well done.

It also makes me never want to visit Idaho. Or Iowa. I forget which is was.