Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2004, 04:15 PM

Default AA after the flop

I played two MTTs at Party last night and busted out in each one with AA UTG.

In the 2nd tourney I got the action I was looking for but just got unlucky. There were 45 players left out of 130. I had just T1000 and was looking to accumulate some chips. The blinds were 50/100 and I raised to 250 hoping to not scare everyone out, but not willing to let the blinds in for free. Everyone folded to the BB who was leading the table with T7300. He called. Flop was pretty ragged and he quickly pushed all-in. I call. He had A5o and had picked up a 5 on the flop and caught one more 5 on the turn. So instead of doubling up I was sent packing. Can’t complain about getting the money in as a 91% favorite both pre and post flop.

The first tournament was the one that I had opportunities to escape from. It was just the third round of a $50 NL tourney (200 players). Blinds are 15/30 and I am UTG with T1315 and looking down at AA. I raise to 75 and all fold to SB (T1510) who raises to 120. I re-raise to 300 and he calls. (Should I have pushed harder here?) Flop comes KJx 2-suited. He checks and ……. “Will someone please turn off the alarm. Its hard to concentrate here with all that damn ringing going off. Nevermind, I got it.” …..After hitting the snooze button I put in 600. He goes over the top and I call all-in for my last 415. Don’t improve in the last two cards and I am out to his set of jacks.

What should I have done differently here post-flop? Should I have gotten away from this hand?
Old 09-17-2004, 04:27 PM

Default Re: AA after the flop

[ QUOTE ]

What should I have done differently here post-flop? Should I have gotten away from this hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

Push, preflop to the reraise. If he folds which I doubt he will, thats fine, if he calls thats fine too.

Other than that no, way you can lay this down.
Old 09-17-2004, 04:45 PM

You are both giving away your hand and pricing him in to hit a set preflop. A dangerous combo. Reraise to 700 and push on the flop. Or just go ahead and push.
Old 09-17-2004, 05:18 PM

Thanks guys. I will look to push harder on the re-raise next time. I was definitely playing with fire there. Last week I was thinking about how I hadn't had AA cracked in a tourney for a long time--the tally is up to three now since then. That may be part of the reason why I was opening the door too much. I need to charge a higher price for them to attempt to crack my aces.
Old 09-17-2004, 06:07 PM

Hey There Going to call you most of the times with those hands any ways, so don't feel bad. When You push Preflop it takes the "did I play this wrong" feeling away.

I busted Out Last night
Blinds 75/150

UTG KK T2500 Raise to T450

Folded to Co T2400 Reraises to 900.

I push, he calls with A10 os , and spikes his ace.

I don't feel I played it wrong, But I still lost. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I still had chips , But lost on my bb and was gone.