Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2005, 08:33 PM

Default Re: AKs 5-10 6max -- Is This ALWAYS Wrong?

How would you make that distinction?
Old 09-08-2005, 10:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Q is NOT A SCARE CARD!!! A scare card is a card that will complete a flush or straight, not a card that "might give him 2pair" because EVERY card is then a scare card - every card could make him a set or 2pair. If this type of card scares you, I would take up go-fish rather than poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is really ignorant and dogmatic, and quite frankly, tough to take seriously. If you think all cards are equally likely to give him a second pair, then I will see you at the go-fish tables my friend. If he didn't already flop the two pair, then this card is VERY likely to have done it for him. Not to be to results-oriented, and I certainly am not citing this to say one move is better than another on average, but my read WAS correct and Villain DID have KQ. This is why I think a raise on the turn makes the most sense. Given that his kicker will miss more often than it will hit on the river, this is +EV play. My question now is, do you fold to a three-bet on the turn, or shutdown and check/call the river?
Old 09-08-2005, 11:00 PM

Why would you not raise the turn here. He is not pure bluffing you. This is most likely either a K that wanted to bet / 3 bet you or its a draw!! RAISE THAT TURN! you charge the draw! and get value from the Kx! Raising flop and getting 3 bet is fine too. You can either cap or pop the turn.
Old 09-08-2005, 11:04 PM

"You have TP/TK why aren't you raising? There are NO scare cards in this entire hand."

Except that the card that hit on the river happened to be the one of the worst in the deck for hero. But yeah, I guess there are no scare cards when a guy who raises UTG, just calls the threebet, bets out on a KJx flop continues to be into a preflop threebettor when a Q hits the river.

-Michael
Old 09-08-2005, 11:11 PM

He should call a three bet with any king that he raised preflop. Players who raise and then fold to a three bet exist only in weak tight fairy tairy land.

I agree that the Queen is the card you are rooting against (since you gotta root for something) i would raise this turn here most of the time.
Old 09-08-2005, 11:12 PM

"My question now is, do you fold to a three-bet on the turn, or shutdown and check/call the river?"

Entirely read dependant. In happier times i even got to cap hands like this.
Old 09-08-2005, 11:15 PM

How you would react to a three bet in either situation, and the likelyhood that his flop bet is a pure bluff/underpair that he will bet again on the turn... ect.
Old 09-08-2005, 11:40 PM

Q does indeed suck, and it might be best to just call at that point. however i think in this spot i'd raise the flop, and if i didn't raise the flop i'd certainly raise the turn.

the reason i'd prefer to just raise on the flop on this hand vs. most is that that board is somewhat drawy. you might get a little extra action because of that (either played back with slightly weaker, or called down with weaker pair), and also waiting until the turn could easily backfire. anything 9 or higher, or a spade could be bad news. either bad b/c it gives him a better hand, or bad b/c it scares him into check/call mode, or bad b/c it allows him to make a good fold to your turn raise with the weaker hands that he might have called down with if you had popped the flop.
Old 09-09-2005, 05:13 AM

Raise the flop. or turn

Steve Griff
Old 09-09-2005, 05:37 AM

Gotta raise flop or turn. You are ONLY behind one reasonable hand (KJ) and there are so many other he could have, with 2-15 outs to beat you. Have to charge the draws, worrying about losing a pure bluff is not enough IMO, especially since the pot is not that small.