Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2005, 02:44 PM

Default Re: Horrible Baseball Broadcasters

The Giants announcers are the best of the ones I've heard, except for Greg Pappa. I hate that mother f'er, especially his "TOOOUCCCHHDOOWWNN RAAAIIDDDEERRRSS!".

Krukow is a homer, but he does know a lot about the game. His analysis is usually spot on despite the homerism. My favorite quote ever from Krukow was when the Giants were playing the Rockies one year. Something happened where Juan Pierre got a fluke base hit and he said "Man that is one lucky Pierre". If you don't get the reference, look it up.
Old 08-16-2005, 04:55 PM

I'm pretty sure I have the right guy with this one but....

Listening to Ralph Kiner makes me think of two things:
1) He recently suffered from a stroke (or perhaps he suffers one daily at gametime).
2) He may want to stop by AA after the game.
Old 08-16-2005, 06:31 PM

How has no one mentioned David Justice or Charley Steiner yet?

I hated Steiner when he started doing Yankees games. He sounds even worse by comparison now that he's working with Vin Scully.
Old 08-16-2005, 06:45 PM

I had to look it up:

lucky pierre -- noun. 1940s. 1. the man in a sexual threesome of two women and one man. 2. (gay) the middle man in a "sandwich" of three sexually entwined men. (? -- the punchline of a joke) From "Cassell's Dictionary of Slang" by Jonathon Green (Wellington House, London, 1998).

I wonder which one he meant?
Old 08-17-2005, 11:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why are baseball broadcasers so awful?

[/ QUOTE ]

Steve Stone was the best broadcaster in all of baseball. Stone was run out of chicago by dusty baker because stones negative comentary was hurting the feelings of baker's delicate cubbies.

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't accurate.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This isn't accurate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds pretty close to me, but I'd love to hear your take.
Old 08-17-2005, 01:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1) He recently suffered from a stroke (or perhaps he suffers one daily at gametime).

[/ QUOTE ]

He has Bell's Palsy.

Even before that, he's said some ridculous things on the air - "darryl Thornberry" for Darryl Strawberry might be the most famous.
Old 08-17-2005, 11:21 PM

First of all, no one ran Steve out of town. Actually, he still works in town, so that makes no sense at all. No one, not Baker, not Hendry, not the Tribune, not WGN forced Stone to quit. Stone quit on his own. If Baker and the Cubs were so determined to force Stone out and to coddle the players, then why did they get rid of a couple of the players (Alou and Mercker) who had major beefs with Stone?
Old 08-18-2005, 12:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
First of all, no one ran Steve out of town. Actually, he still works in town, so that makes no sense at all. No one, not Baker, not Hendry, not the Tribune, not WGN forced Stone to quit. Stone quit on his own. If Baker and the Cubs were so determined to force Stone out and to coddle the players, then why did they get rid of a couple of the players (Alou and Mercker) who had major beefs with Stone?

[/ QUOTE ]

First of all, I'm guessing you're not from town. Because you obviously have no idea what the situation entailed. Stone's contract was up. The Cubs made him a requiste public relations offer to stay. The offer of course was well below his market value, and they made no guarantees that he would be protected from the kind of ridiculous crap he and Chip Caray were put through in '04. He basically had no choice but to walk away. He's still working in Chicago because he's highly respected for his knowledge of baseball. The Cubs hate him, period. And they hate him because he refused to be a part of the pretty Cubby parade.

As far as Mercker and Alou, they got rid of them because Mercker, um, sucked ass. And Alou was a huge contract that they had no intention of renewing. Those two were not the only conflicts with the broadcast booth -- many others still remain.
Old 08-18-2005, 10:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

First of all, I'm guessing you're not from town. Because you obviously have no idea what the situation entailed. Stone's contract was up. The Cubs made him a requiste public relations offer to stay. The offer of course was well below his market value, and they made no guarantees that he would be protected from the kind of ridiculous crap he and Chip Caray were put through in '04. He basically had no choice but to walk away. He's still working in Chicago because he's highly respected for his knowledge of baseball. The Cubs hate him, period. And they hate him because he refused to be a part of the pretty Cubby parade.

As far as Mercker and Alou, they got rid of them because Mercker, um, sucked ass. And Alou was a huge contract that they had no intention of renewing. Those two were not the only conflicts with the broadcast booth -- many others still remain.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the Cubs hated Stone so much because he doesn't coddle the players and says what is on his mind, then they wouldn't have put up with him for so long and they wouldn't have ever let him come back the second time around. It's not like Stone just started this new style the second time around. He's been the same way his entire broadcasting career. BTW, I think Stone is the best analyst in baseball, so it's not like I wanted him gone. I don't agree with the Cubs players who were doing what they were doing.