Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2002, 03:32 AM

Default Inspired by J8o in BB post

Playing in a loose 6-12 tonight, with davidross's post about playing J8o fresh on my mind.

I am in the BB, a little old lady (LOL) has posted in between the SB and button. She is somewhat loose pre-flop, but plays fairly well. She also respects my raises (maybe a little too much).

UTG+2 is on semi-tilt and open raises. Button calls, LOL calls, SB calls. I look down to see Js8d. I decide to call. Flop is:

7s 5h 3s

Checked around. Turn is 8s.

LOL bets, SB folds. I decide to raise.

Comments on all streets appreciated.
Old 09-18-2002, 01:31 PM

Default Re: Inspired by J8o in BB post

sounds perfect to me 90% of the time.

But, I've run into a good deal of little old ladies who wouldn't even bet with A8s in this situation, they need a set or better to do anything other then calling. If I had any inclination thinking this I'd switch to check/call mode and hope I'm not up against a made straight.

If she plays well like you say, you are probably on top and a raise is definitely appropriate
Old 09-18-2002, 02:43 PM

Hey Jai,

This is actually a pretty tough post to answer. You could make a case for either folding or playing the hand in the manner you played. I have been working this hand in my head for 15 minutes and I can't really come up with a good response.

I think pre-flop you should have folded, but I know you play well so a case could be made for calling. The turn raise is good, but either you are way ahead or you are dead. The raise on the turn is pretty much mandatory, but you are risking a raise from a player behind you ("just because they checked doesn't mean they don't have anything"--quote from a dealer) or from the LOL (and if she re-raises you, you are TOAST). But on the other hand if you can get the players behind you out and if LOL is passive enough to just call your raise with a better hand, then you could get a free showdwon.

I hope you won the hand! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-18-2002, 03:41 PM

Default Results

After I raised, everyone folded to the LOL. She agonized over whether to call forever, but finally folded. She said later that she had A8.

So I guess my raise worked in that it got a better hand to fold (though I had outs to the flush or 2-pair). I think I would still probably raise most of the time in this spot, depending on my opponent, though I certainly got lucky this time. I can probably get a Ks or Qs to fold behind me, but a lone As is calling. Plus, most opponents in the LOL's shoes probably wouldn't have folded top pair top kicker. Will have to remember to raise her more often [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-18-2002, 04:17 PM

"Just because they checked doesn't mean they don't have anything"

Yeah, true, but ususally that's exactly what it means.