Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2005, 08:29 AM

Default Re: Why choose Limit over No-Limit?

[ QUOTE ]
Hi, I know this forum is pretty Limit oriented in terms of what its members play, but I play NL exclusively and do very well at it. I was wondering however, what the draw is to playing Limit over No Limit for you guys (or even vice-versa)? Is it that Limit is more math/statistic oriented? Too much variance in NL? etc...Thanks guys

Cheers, [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I play NL cash games. For some reason I tend to do worse at limit and it frustrates the hell out of me when I can't blow someone off their obvious draw or at least make them pay far too much for it. I also have to take small bites out of a fish rather than sucking him in to losing his stack in one go and making room for the next victim, I mean player [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Probably frustration = tilt and explains why I don't do as well at limit.
Old 07-28-2005, 08:43 AM

for me I will play limit When I bonus whore since the variance is lower. but when I want to make money NL is more fun and profitable.

peace
wwonka
Old 07-28-2005, 08:53 AM

I make money month after month on NL. Anywhere from 1k to 4k per month over the last 12 months, without a losing month yet.

I can't stand Limit. It's boring, slow, filled with people drawing a BS all the damn time and I can't price them out of it.

It just takes a different mind set to play limit, one which I don't plan on learning.
Old 07-28-2005, 09:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hi, I know this forum is pretty Limit oriented in terms of what its members play, but I play NL exclusively and do very well at it. I was wondering however, what the draw is to playing Limit over No Limit for you guys (or even vice-versa)? Is it that Limit is more math/statistic oriented? Too much variance in NL? etc...Thanks guys

Cheers, [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I play NL cash games. For some reason I tend to do worse at limit and it frustrates the hell out of me when I can't blow someone off their obvious draw or at least make them pay far too much for it. I also have to take small bites out of a fish rather than sucking him in to losing his stack in one go and making room for the next victim, I mean player [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Probably frustration = tilt and explains why I don't do as well at limit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why wouldn't you want someone to pay you off with a drawing hand with your made hand. If someone is drawing to their flush he has a 35% chance of hitting it, that means 65% of the time you win. This is especially nice when the drawer isn't getting the odds to call. So for every 3 times I'm against someone drawing to the flush, they pay me off twice to me paying them off once. Thats +EV bro.
Old 07-28-2005, 09:25 AM

I have been in your position for 2 years and grinding it out in the NL tables 0.5/1 up to 3/6 (and a few shots at 5/10). I play anywhere from 1 to 4 tables but in the end i really got bored with NL so i decided to try the 6 max limit tables..

Well after playing limit for a few months i can honestly say that fixed limit totally owns/rules! More decisions and interesting strategy, reads are still important and i also like the offline review with my pokertracker stats. To conclude i have found limit (6max, full ring seems like watching paint dry) far much more fun even though it's been, and will continue to be, hard to stand the swings and frequent suckouts.

Regards
Snow
Old 07-28-2005, 09:27 AM

since limit has fewer options (fold, check, raise/bet) its much much easier to scientificly find the Correct way to play. this is y the # of books is so lopsided. simply put, i think this is from HoH: limit is a game of taking odds, nl is a game of giving odds.

i presently play nl exclusively. i like the creativity of deciding what to play. it also feels less like a grind. if u think nl is slow try playing a few more hands.

at some point i see myself learning limit, but am not gonna rush to get there to quickly.
Old 07-28-2005, 09:28 AM

I've just started experimenting with baby NL and I have to say that it's just a little too stressful for me. Mostly due to the beats. If I take a bad beat in limit but played the hand well, I don't feel bad at all. When I get my top sets, straights, and flushes cracked in NL, I feel sick. There's a horrible temptation for me to get another rack and go after somebody.

I love NL for tournament play where my $ at risk are capped and if I get beat, it can't affect my future play since I'm not playing anymore.
Old 07-28-2005, 09:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've just started experimenting with baby NL and I have to say that it's just a little too stressful for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have lost 50-80 BBs in a session in limit, but I can't stand the thought of having to shove all my money (deep stack) in the pot with anything less than a nut hand.
Old 07-28-2005, 09:34 AM

I play limit for a couple of reasons. The main one being that I suck at no-limit. Now, I could probably be good if I tried to not suck, but with the wealth of books and information pertaining to limit, that's where I got my start. So I started playing that, and went from there. Now I'm to the point where I make a lot of money (at least, what I consider to be a lot) playing limit, and would have to start from scratch if i wanted to play no-limit. Easy decision to stick with limit, I think. Also, although variance is higher in limit, I can handle that. I just can't mentally handle losing my entire stack in one hand very well.
Old 07-28-2005, 09:47 AM

Well, i just read most of this post, and Sthief's post and wanted to reply,
I've played about 50K hands of limit over the last 9 months, and recently decided to switch over to NL just to try something new (3K-4K hands). I don't think I'll ever switch back.

I've seen a ton of posts debating which is more boring. If you are a tight passive full table nut peddler winning 4-5PTBB/100, I couldn't agree more and would rather watch grass grow.

Now...
If you play 6 max NL, and want to make the 8-10 PTBB/100, there is no where else you will have more fun. Stealing pots, value betting second pair, making the big move on a scare card, coming over the top on a semi bluff, stealing blinds with nothing and then having to play the hand, and lastly delayed bluffs; calling a decent bet on the flop, knowing you have no chance of winning a showdown, just to come over the top on the turn, nothing better. NL is a fantastic game. If you don't want it to be boring, dont play it to be boring. Make good tactical moves, using strong applied aggression. dont just nut peddle. Do this, and its an awesome game.