Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2004, 11:57 PM

Default Re: Full HH in a tourney I butchered. Help with minraises?

lol, started reading the first few hands, then I scrolled down and say about 150 more!!! try to narrow it down a bit
Old 08-18-2004, 12:18 AM

You can load the whole history into the replayer and just watch the tournament.
Old 08-18-2004, 01:00 AM

I hate your JJ limp UTG. You can get cute like that with KK, maybe, but jacks are too low. Once you're in this, bet the river. He'll check behind most of the time.

I don't even understand your point, are you saying you should fold the JJ or are you saying you shouldn't raise with kings but you should with an inferior hand.

This isn't rocket science, it's SNG poker versus idiots, keep it simple for the most part.

Calling with JJ UTG adds incredible versatility to your hand, you get to take a view depending on the action after you limp, and you can still reraise or fold depending on who raises, how many raises and how much.

Post flop, it's no disaster if this is folded around, you can hit your set OR overpair and win a tidy pot, and if it comes AK3 and there's no bet, a tiny bet will steal it if they don't have the goods, if they do, well no harm done, they'd probably have called a raise anyway.

I liked the preflop play in this pot, I think anyone considering folding here needs shooting and anyone who raises more often than they call needs to look at their game somewhat.

By limping here, you limit your positional disadvantage. People will be scared of your hand and let you in cheaply, they will also make mistakes by misjudging your hand.
If you really want to raise it, you are around evens to have an overcard fall and you are out of position.
This is not my idea of fun, I don't want to be outguessing idiots who don't know what they have themselves half of the time.

Lori
Old 08-18-2004, 01:27 AM

Lori,

Post more,

-Jason
Old 08-18-2004, 01:28 AM

The A4 hand where you were min-raised by the big stack would have been a perfect spot to push back at him. He'd been min-raising for a number of hands in a row on your bb, and you either folded, or got you off a marginal hand (like when you rivered a king with two aces on board). With almost 1500 in that pot, I might have called him down for another 400, but that's me. Plus, don't limp with jj UTG.
Old 08-18-2004, 01:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Lori,

Post more,

-Jason

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely. I think at some point I will go back through your post history [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-18-2004, 01:57 AM

I'm saying that a limp reraise is viable with KK (especially on the first hand when somebody will often bluff raise 150 or something equally suicidal) but nowhere near as good with JJ, due largely to the fact that they *are* idiots. They love coldcalling raises with Ax or 66, but a raise will limit the field somewhat; however, the entire table will usually limp with almost any two if you let them.

Basically, at a low Party SNG, no one will be scared of your hand (because no one will pay any attention to your hand to begin with), no one will be too impressed by a bet on an AK3 flop (this includes the guy holding K6o), and with 8 limpers, an overpair is no good because someone will also have called with T7o and hit 2 pair.

On the other hand, if you raise to something like 75 on the first hand, you'll get one or two callers, one with Axo or KTs and the other with a midpair. If the flop comes A high and you bet, they'll fold without the ace; if the flop comes low, you'll often be checkraised all in by an A8o that hit TPTK. Sweet.

I have the feeling that low Party SNG's are such an entirely different animal that there's a really specific, mostly ABC playstyle which works much better here than anywhere else. For instance, from what I've seen of my buddy's play, I *would* try limp reraising more often on Stars.
Old 08-18-2004, 02:01 AM

You don't seem to understand. NO ONE IS SUGGESTING LIMP-RERAISING WITH JJ!!! We are saying limp-call small raises. JJ is a very dangerous hand and we want to see a flop cheaply, and deal with the fact that our position sucks by keeping the pot small.

Now go reread Lori's post.
Old 08-18-2004, 02:02 AM

no one will be scared of your hand

For the reasons you just described, I'm scared of my hand.

Lori
Old 08-18-2004, 02:06 AM

JJ is only a dangerous hand if you can't let go of it on a flop with overs or to serious aggression, just like AK is a dangerous hand if you can't let go of it when you miss. In fact, Hero limping JJ made the hand a hell of a lot *harder* to play because he couldn't even rule out T8o.

Seriously, if you play AK/JJ *exactly* the same way in level 1 or 2, you're pretty much going to show a big profit on both.

Edit: This very much fits in with the 'must have a plan' post you've just made. I strongly feel that I can win the most while losing the least with this hand by thinning the field to 1-3 callers and proceeding strongly but folding to any aggression. On the other hand, I do *not* have a plan if I limp JJ UTG, 5 others limp after me and the flop comes T83, 2 spades; the hand is simply much better after I've defined what my opponents are likely to have.