Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2005, 12:49 PM

Default Re: Hockey

Not a big fan of the shootout so far (mostly because every time I see one the team I am rooting for loses!).

I wish they would abolish the instigator penalty and ease up on the roughhousing misconducts- there are a lot of fans who enjoy seeing a couple of fights per game to go with some good hockey. With the salary cap, teams can't afford to carry goons who can't skate, so there is no danger of returning to the "Broad Street Bullies" days. I just get sick and tired of seeing guys getting 10 minutes for face washing someone. That is ridiculous.
Old 10-28-2005, 12:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Isles fan here. Just as the past couple years, some nights they look great and some they look like crap.

As for the game itself, this crap where half the game is PP time has got to stop. It's ridiculous. I'm all for opening up the game and the offense, but these games are simply special teams contests.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good to see another Isles fan here as well. I agree, tihs team sometimes looks good and sometimes looks real bad. Offense is great and I think Yashin and Satan will have big seasons. Also, I think this is DiPietro's year. He had a huge game vs the Rangers two weeks ago (didn't see yesterdays Rangers/Islanders game.)

Defense seems to be the weak point. Two years ago we had a great defense with Jonnson, Aucoin and Hamrlik but Milbury shipped them all off. I haven't seen enough of Sopel and Zhitnik to make an opinion on them but I would rather have the old defense than this one.

We take a boatload of penalties but I think this will get better as the year goes on. I don't know if this team is any good but I doubt they will get out of the first round of the playoffs if they even make the playoffs at this rate.
Old 10-28-2005, 01:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Being a Sabres fan, you have any thoughts on the game tonight with them coming to town?

[/ QUOTE ]

The Sabres, I believe, are number one in the league in offensive shots per game (definately not like the past Sabres). Goalie Ryan Miller is awesume... he has been on fire this year and I think he will have a good game against the Devils tonight.
The Sabres should win, with Broduer being out and if Miller continues to play great the Sabres should get alot of shots on the Devils backup goalie (some rookie I never heard of).
Old 10-28-2005, 01:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Being a Sabres fan, you have any thoughts on the game tonight with them coming to town?

[/ QUOTE ]

The Sabres, I believe, are number one in the league in offensive shots per game (definately not like the past Sabres). Goalie Ryan Miller is awesume... he has been on fire this year and I think he will have a good game against the Devils tonight.
The Sabres should win, with Broduer being out and if Miller continues to play great the Sabres should get alot of shots on the Devils backup goalie (some rookie I never heard of).

[/ QUOTE ]

Miller is playing fantastic. I've been debating if I should bench Patrick Lalime and start Miller on my fantasy team as my number 2 goalie. How many of you would make the switch? Ed Belfour is my number one goalie.
Old 10-28-2005, 01:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Good to see another Isles fan here as well. I agree, tihs team sometimes looks good and sometimes looks real bad. Offense is great and I think Yashin and Satan will have big seasons.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahh, good 'ole Miro. Great talent but the Sabres are better without him. He'll put up the numbers but he will go into prolonged slumps leaving you scratching youre head saying he looks like he doesn;t want to be out there. When Lindy Ruff came out 2 years ago and said they were rotating the Captiancy, Miro had it the first month and as soon as Ruff switched it to Drury, Miro went into a 2 month pout like a 5 year old who got his toy taken away.

It was pretty funny when they announced they werent extending an offer to him and he was free to go how the players reacted, there definitely isnt any love loss between Satan and the rest of the Sabres, especially Briere and Drury, the leaders in the Sabres loker room.
Old 10-28-2005, 01:08 PM

The Isles 2nd line with York and Hunter has been excellent this year as well. Getting York for Peca in the preseason was a great move, York is younger (cheaper) and will put up better numbers then Peca.
Old 10-28-2005, 01:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Miller is playing fantastic. I've been debating if I should bench Patrick Lalime and start Miller on my fantasy team as my number 2 goalie. How many of you would make the switch? Ed Belfour is my number one goalie.

[/ QUOTE ]

Definately start Miller... just make sure that he is scheduled to start tonight.
Old 10-28-2005, 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Definately start Miller... just make sure that he is scheduled to start tonight.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes he is scheduled for tonight, but I think Biron is getting the nod for tomorrow against the Isles according to the local radio and the coaching staff
Old 10-28-2005, 02:31 PM

As a Leafs fan, I'm pretty happy with things so far. Except for their top 2, the Leafs D has been shaky (so what else is new?), but Belfour has been his old self, and an alien that can play goal has possessed Tellqvist. Lindros is absolutely incredible this year.

I can safely say, the Leafs have been in every game they've played, and if not for collapsing totally for a few minutes in most of their games, they could have a much better record - especially in their losses to Ottawa.

When Sundin gets back, they'll be even better. I'm not sure who's going to play wing, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Lindros & Sundin playing together, with one of them on the left side.

The Leafs absolutely dominated Boston in the second period last night, but that goalie stood on his head. Incredible play, he stole that for the B's. Which is only fair, considering what happened Tuesday [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-28-2005, 02:38 PM

The Leafs are definitely playing great hockey right now, on both sides of the ice. I was very impressed w/ Tellqvist last night, and agree that if it weren't for the outstanding play of Toivenen we'd probably have lost that one too.

Lindros has always been a monster when he is on the ice and motivated.

Hannu Toivenen is actually quite the heralded prospect in Boston; most observers feel he'll actually be better than last season's Rookie of the Year Andrew Raycroft. W/ Rayzor down with a hamstring injury he'll get some minutes in the next week, and is sure to have his shaky spots, but should be just fine.