Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2005, 04:47 PM

Default Short-stacked: JJ in BB

.50/$1 NL. I have only 20 BB in my stack.

UTG, a solid player, raises to $3. I'm thinking I should just call and see a flop, because I know he has something. But then the ultimate calling station comes in behind him.

I don't like his call for a couple of reasons: 1) I much prefer to play JJ heads-up. 2) I know he could have somethink like Ax or QT, and I want to charge him if he wants to try and draw out against me.

The thing is, the only way to get him out would be to raise to $9. Since I only have $20, if I bet $9, and UTG re-raised, I would be pot-committed. So it's either push or call. Which one?
Old 10-21-2005, 05:26 PM

Default Re: Short-stacked: JJ in BB

I push.
Old 10-21-2005, 06:04 PM

I push here too. Feels like a hand from a SNG.
Old 10-21-2005, 08:58 PM

The thing is, if I push, I'm laying 7:1 that UTG doesn't have me dominated. Considering the opening range for a good player from UTG, do I really want to give those odds?
Old 10-21-2005, 09:07 PM

Anytime I'm shortstacked, and there's a raise preflop to me, I usually come over the top and push with a hand like JJ.

To switch it up, I might reraise, but not push, and then push on the flop (regardless if I hit or not).

Either way, I'm getting all my chips in.
Old 10-21-2005, 10:07 PM

How did you find yourself this short? Push PF. Then push the reload button, whether you win or lose.

-T
Old 10-21-2005, 10:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How did you find yourself this short? Push PF. Then push the reload button, whether you win or lose.

-T

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, I only play with a full stack if the game is real juicy. I make too much money playing the short stack, and I just hate it when I play a big stack, have TPTK or an overpair, and spend half my stack to find out I'm probably beat, and then fold, only to wonder if he was making a move on me. I'd rather get all my chips in before it gets to that point. Plus, big stacks are so quick to call a short-stack's push. I get a lot more action when I have a hand than I do when I play a full stack.
Old 10-21-2005, 10:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

-T

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, I only play with a full stack if the game is real juicy. I make too much money playing the short stack, and I just hate it when I play a big stack, have TPTK or an overpair, and spend half my stack to find out I'm probably beat, and then fold, only to wonder if he was making a move on me. I'd rather get all my chips in before it gets to that point. Plus, big stacks are so quick to call a short-stack's push. I get a lot more stack's push.

[/ QUOTE ]

With 500+ posts, you haven't figured out you can make much more money playing deeper stacks? You must post in OOT a lot...

-T
Old 10-21-2005, 10:36 PM

Yeah, I mostly play limit and post there, but I think small stack play is for me.
i just find myself in too many situations where I'm facing a big bet, and I don't know if I'm beat or not. In limit, I can call down cheap, but in NL, I hate having to call a big bet when I don't know where I'm at, or folding only to wonder if I mucked the best hand. Playing short-stacked does away with that. And, as I said, it helps you get action with TPTK and overpairs.
Old 10-21-2005, 10:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I mostly play limit and post there, but I think small stack play is for me.
i just find myself in too many situations where I'm facing a big bet, and I don't know if I'm beat or not. In limit, I can call down cheap, but in NL, I hate having to call a big bet when I don't know where I'm at, or folding only to wonder if I mucked the best hand. Playing short-stacked does away with that. And, as I said, it helps you get action with TPTK and overpairs.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you don't like NL poker. Okay, that's all you had to say. That's fine.

-T