Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2005, 10:17 AM

Default Crazy action at my home game HELP ME!

I am in need of some help. I play in a weekly live 1/2 NL game. Most players are fairly well off but they are terrible players. By way of example....

UTG raises $25 PF...MP2 calls.....Button reraises to $125...UTG calls.....MP2 calls....2 players are all in. Cards flip over....UTG has K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] .....MP2 has Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] button has Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ...nuff said. Now on to MY problems.

$10 is the minimum raise in this game. Unconventional but the norm here.

Hand #1:
MP2 limps.....MP3 limps CO limps Hero (button) had A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Hero raises to $10 SB calls.....MP 3 calls.

Pot has ~$50...
Flop 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
SB checks MP3 Checks...Hero bets $50 SB reraises $80 Hero MP3 folds Hero calls (all in)

Showdown: SB shows Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Turn and River are no help

Do I not bet $50 on the flop here? I think I have to make a potsized bet here to protect against the flush? These are the typical ways that big hands get cracked in this game. Do I just accept this as the reality and realise that proper play will win more often than lose (ala Fundemental Theorem of Poker) or do I just stop playing in this game?
Old 03-18-2005, 10:54 AM

Default Re: Crazy action at my home game HELP ME!

So you play in a game where the players make terrible calls with nothing!... but do they re-rasie with nothing... You gotta know he has a 4 here.

Live with it... it sound like a HUGE +EV game for you in the long run!!
Old 03-18-2005, 11:58 AM

Don't know why you only raised the min PF??

The question is what do you put him on reraising with? Is he the kind of player to try and push you off a hand... with a pot size bet? Again your PF min raise could easily mean he has a 4 or the full house. You flop bet was overbetting the pot ($50 in a $34 Pot?) with a paired-flush draw board... and you don't have the backdoor draw. Definitely call with your all-in as there's still a good chance he's reraising w/ a high pair.

My thoughts,
Fins
Old 03-18-2005, 12:12 PM

I love that Q4. Sentimental favorite.
Old 03-18-2005, 12:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do I not bet $50 on the flop here? I think I have to make a potsized bet here to protect against the flush? These are the typical ways that big hands get cracked in this game. Do I just accept this as the reality and realise that proper play will win more often than lose (ala Fundemental Theorem of Poker) or do I just stop playing in this game?

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally, I don't see anything terrible here, but slow playing aces in this game may not be the way to go.

J5
Old 03-18-2005, 12:46 PM

In insane games like this, you might have been out of luck no matter what you had done. Keep in mind, his Q4 was in fact, Suited.

Regardless, I would have raised alot more preflop.
Old 03-18-2005, 12:55 PM

True, but don't you mean 'soooooooted'?

J5
Old 03-18-2005, 03:01 PM

bad beat post, waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah
Old 03-18-2005, 03:31 PM

I play in a very similar game. The key for me is patience. Play the game right and eventually the fish will bust out.
Old 03-18-2005, 04:38 PM

With a minimum pre-flop raise, you are asking for all kinds of hands to stick around. If I were in SB, I'd definitely call a minimum pre-flop raise with hands like 3-4s, 4-5s, 8-8, A-4s... for this very reason: to bust you if I hit.

The question is... was the SB who check-raised you (after you raised pre-flop, no less!) one of the same guys who went all-in on Q-T in the previous hand? If so, then you may feel that he's bluffing (or at least semi-bluffing with two spades).

On the other hand, if the guy is relatively solid, while Q-4s would be a hard read, you've gotta put him on a 4 or maybe 8-8.

I know it's hard to lay down Aces (they look so pretty, don't they?)... but with that board, you need to respect the check-raise and probably pick a better spot to get your money all-in.

Lesson: Don't slow-play Aces in a loose game (I've leaned this the hard way... and so, now, have you. That's good, it usually sticks better that way.)