Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-17-2005, 12:23 AM

Default Matusow hand analysis @ Final Table - 2nd hand

Copied from Espn:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/poker...9478&num=2

Second hand, kaboom.

Steve Dannenmann raises to 250 grand. Scott Lazar re-raises to $1.25. Matusow moves in for about $7.2. Lazar calls.

Whoa. Raise, re-raise, re-re-raise all in, call - on the second hand? Yikes, babe.

And what a showdown: Lazar, with about $3.2 million, has two red aces. Matusow had two kings and is totally dominated in a pot worth $6.8 million.

The flop comes Q-K-6, two hearts, and the place explodes as Matusow, the Las Vegan homeboy, catches his king. Lazar needs an ace, runner-runner straight cards or runner-runner hearts, or he goes back to Tinseltown with one million green.

The turn comes the 2 of hearts. Lazar is halfway there.

The river comes a jack. It, too, is a heart

Ok, here are my questions:

1. What other ways could this hand have been played by Matusow?

2. What is the best way to play this hand in this scenario?

3. Is there anyway he could have avoided losing a bundle here (obviously folding is an option, but what I want to know is given the way the hand played out, what justifcation could be made for folding this hand if this is your recommended course of action)?

For what it's worth, I don't see any way I would have gotten away from this hand, I'm merely posting these questions to see if creative minds might have a unique way of playing. It was a raise of a re-reraise and if Matusow figured he could win by avoiding big all-in pots he could have slowed down I suppose (not likely though), but even if he slowed down preflop, there is no way its not going in after he got three kings.

muchas gracias senioritas!