Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2005, 05:56 PM

Default Re: continuing to get a master\'s degree

[ QUOTE ]
now i don't understand how i, a comp sci major, can get a master's in ARCHITECTURE without tons of work

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't you guys run all of the servers at your campus? Clickety clickety...instant masters. Sounds like a job for the BOFH.

[ QUOTE ]
also, what are your master's degrees...i'd like to get some ideas what i can do with this BS of mine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Get a masters. I got mine in civil engineering, and I never would have gotten my first job without it. I would have been able to get *a* job, just not the one I ended up getting; they didn't even consider BS grads. And I certainly wouldn't have the job I have now without an advanced degree.

I'm sure it's totally dependent on the field and/or job market, but in many cases it really can make a great deal of difference in how you're perceived as a potential hire.
Old 10-19-2005, 07:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
lots of people pursue graduate degrees in fields unrelated to their bachelor's degree. Some common examples include doctors and lawyers and such.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah but i think with doctors/lawyers there can be a common trend about what their undergrad diplomas were...poly sci/business/classics/theraputics not oddball/focused degrees like comp sci or dance..

[/ QUOTE ]

I have two freinds who both graduated with computer engineering degrees. One is getting a masters in electrical engineering, the other is in law school. My orthopedic surgeon got his undergrad degree in MechE. The relationship between some of these fields kind of makes sense. The logic used in engineering can be similar to the logic used in law or medicine. It seems to me the logic used in CompSci could also be applied towards architecture, but it's probably best applied to slashing your neighbors tires.

[/ QUOTE ]

here we go...

i take it i'm going to have to leave my personal exploits out of OOT to avoid sarcastic responses. well, your's wasn't truly sarcastic, just a well placed jab i might say..
Old 10-19-2005, 07:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
now i don't understand how i, a comp sci major, can get a master's in ARCHITECTURE without tons of work, not the standard 4 semester programs that i know about. is this type of thing common? does anyone have a BS that went on for a masters in a completely unrelated field?

also, what are your master's degrees...i'd like to get some ideas what i can do with this BS of mine.

[/ QUOTE ]

You sure it isn't software architecture? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I have a BS in Mechanical Engineering and an MS in Computer Science. Pretty unrelated. I thought there would be a reasonable amount of correlation between the undergrad requirements for both. There weren't. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]