Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2005, 08:46 PM

Default Super Monday Tricky River Decision

Villain is table bully, loose preflop and takes a stab at most pots headsup on the flop. Obviously my reraise was stupid on the flop for many reasons and calling would have been much better, although I expected him to lay down the majority of the time.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (6 max, 9 handed) converter

UTG (t825)
UTG+1 (t2600)
(Villain) (t4125)
MP2 (t2130)
MP3 (t580)
CO (t2450)
Hero (t1355)
SB (t465)
BB (t810)

Preflop: Hero is Button with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">(Villain) raises to t150</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls t150, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>.

Flop: (t375) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Villain bets t200</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t500</font>, Villain calls t300.

Turn: (t1375) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Villain checks, Hero checks.

River: (t1375) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Villain bets [800].
Hero?...

River play?

Thanks
Old 05-25-2005, 08:50 PM

Default Re: Super Monday Tricky River Decision

your call PF and on the flop are bad.

obviously you're calling this river, he could just have a T. if he has a full house good for him.
Old 05-25-2005, 08:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree
Old 05-25-2005, 09:10 PM

just call
Old 05-26-2005, 03:25 AM

Giving specifics, why is this preflop call against the table bully so wrong? He's been described as lag, and you have position... please elabourate.
Old 05-26-2005, 05:40 AM

Did you consider pushing the turn?

-Magnus
Old 05-26-2005, 10:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

he didn't call the flop
Old 05-26-2005, 11:50 AM

AT is a tough hand to play unless you flop three Tens or broadway. Even though the villian is LAG it's a tough hand
to play if an Ace flops and you get strong action. I would pass this hand and wait for greener pastures.

Bruce
Old 05-26-2005, 12:36 PM

This line of play looks like you decided before your pre-flop call that you were going to re-raise the expected bet from the LAG on the flop if you were heads up, no matter what the flop was.

You also said you "expected him to lay it down the majority of time". This has not been my experience with table bullies. They can't keep stealing pots if they fold to a re-raise on the flop, and they know it.

If you really want to use your position to take the bully on (which is what I assume you are doing given ATo), why not re-raise pre-flop to isolate him, then fire at the flop? I think you have more fold equity both pre-flop and on the flop this way.

I also think the money you put in with the flop raise would have been better spent on the turn, where against a bully the fold equity is, once again, higher.

After re-raising the flop, and with 9 outs to the nut flush, 3 more outs to the nut straight I don't understand why you didn't bet the turn. Villan probably doesn't either.

You have to call the river, even though your betting has done nothing to define the villan's hand. He could have anything. Once you checked the turn you knew he was going to bet the river, figuring you for a re-steal on the flop.
Old 05-26-2005, 12:58 PM

Am I missing something?

You hold the As, so the risk he turned a flush is clearly diminished.

FH: Betting out on the flop with a flopped full boat doesn't seems a likely action.

Trips (eventually to pick up the FH on the turn or river)? He would have come over the top of you on the flop with Qx, fearing a flush draw.

My guess is most of the time you're going to be shown A9, AJ, AK, KJ or KT, a medium pair or AT.

Best,

McMelchior (Johan)