Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2005, 01:26 AM

Default bubble with KQo

20 person rebuy MTT with places 1-3 getting paid. Four people remaining. Big stack has around $25,000, I've got $15,000, and the person between us has around $10,000. Second biggest stack is to my left with around $22,000.

Blinds are $1000 and $2000 with $200 antes.

I'm in the BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 1 fold, big stack raises to $6000, small stack folds.

The big stack has been playing pretty tightly the entire time. I've seen him push all of his chips preflop twice, but I've not seen him just raise yet.

Factors I should have considered:

1)the small stack was not going to see a blind for two hands after this one, but once he did he'd be close to pot committed.

2)I had to worry about a big broadway hand from the big stack, since he had not made the move of just raising before. This looked like a very standard place to try to buy the blinds from the shorter stacks, and he didn't put either of us all-in.

Long story short I figured I wouldn't get cards like this again anytime soon and pushed.

Please berate me for this terrible move so that I won't do something stupid like this again.

Thanks! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-20-2005, 02:47 AM

Default Re: bubble with KQo

you made the right play. KQo 4 handed is a monster. Unless big stack is an absolute NOOB who hasn't adjusted to playing four-handed, AI is the correct play here.
Old 05-20-2005, 03:12 AM

Unless the payout structure is incredibly flat, this was the right move.
Old 05-20-2005, 04:10 AM

I might fold this if the big stack doesn't seem to be a very tricky player. The small raise is looking for action and I would expect him to show at least AK.

-Magnus
Old 05-20-2005, 08:41 AM

Up until this point the big stack was the opposite of tricky.

Here's what SHOULD have gone through my head as I contemplated my move:

<font color="blue">[dreamy]If this is a straightforward play I'm behind or about tied with everything he could make that move with except for QJ, QT, or JT. Maaaaybe he'd do that with J9s or T9s, but that's less likely. I'm waay behind the most likely stuff - namely AK, AQ, AA, KK, QQ, and JJ. I'm coinflipping with lower pocket pairs.

I'm probably waaaay ahead of a stone cold bluff, but he's got outs with Ax.

We're on the bubble, and everyone has tightened up considerably since we got four handed.

Do I think that I have enough of an edge to risk busting out in this spot?[/dreamy]</font>

If I would have thought it through I could have laid it down. This is what went through my head instead:

<font color="blue">[dreamy]KQ! I won't get a hand like this for a while, I'm second short stack, and Harrington says to play aggressively on the bubble! I should push all of my chips at this![/dreamy]</font>

[smacks forehead] I'm dumb. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 05-20-2005, 09:02 AM

You played it ok. This would have been a good spot for a stop and go though. Villain had you covered and is getting 2.5 to 1 pot odds on the call.
Old 05-20-2005, 09:32 AM

Your play was fine, and your original reasoning was quite correct. You only have enough chips for about 16 more hands, assuming the blinds don't go up in the meantime. The raiser is in the same boat and had the advantage of seeing a fold already. He could have correctly moved in with almost anything, so your hand is very strong and your reraise is correct.
Old 05-20-2005, 11:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The big stack has been playing pretty tightly the entire time. I've seen him push all of his chips preflop twice, but I've not seen him just raise yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

he's raised twice in how many hands? reraising a real tight guy with an ok hand is not fun.
Old 05-20-2005, 04:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
he's raised twice in how many hands? reraising a real tight guy with an ok hand is not fun.

[/ QUOTE ]

He was at my table for about 7 or 8 orbits at that point. I should have slowed down my mental process, but in my haste I pushed and he called with <font color="red">AK</font> . Board comes K79985 and my dominated little bitch hand is NG.

Damn!

I'm out on the bubble and the next hand the small stack coughs up all of his chips as well.

Double Damn!
Old 05-20-2005, 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Board comes K79985

[/ QUOTE ]

but did the board make a straight on 7th street?