Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2005, 09:13 AM

Default AQ I think I\'m ahead here but I\'m a wuss

20+2 No reads. My thinking was even if I have a bigger ace if he has a 2 diamonds I'm only a small favorite. I guess this is why you don't play AQ out of position ( when will I learn).

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (10 handed) converter

Hero (t785)
BB (t740)
UTG (t625)
UTG+1 (t1220)
UTG+2 (t775)
MP1 (t1100)
MP2 (t380)
MP3 (t980)
CO (t775)
Button (t620)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls t15, UTG+1 calls t15, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls t15, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls t15, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t90) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t90</font>, BB folds, UTG calls t90, UTG+1 calls t90, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises to t365 (All-In)</font>, CO folds, Hero folds, UTG folds, UTG+1 calls t275.

Turn: (t1000) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

River: (t1000) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t1000
Old 05-24-2005, 09:17 AM

Default Re: AQ I think I\'m ahead here but I\'m a wuss

I think MP2 could have almost anything, given that he is the small stack. I've seen desperation bets like this all the time. What you want to do, I think, is keep UTG+1 out of the pot. When the betting gets back to you on the flop, I would go all-in.
Old 05-24-2005, 09:17 AM

Raise preflop!

I limp in EP because I haven't seen any action yet. There are too many limpers. It's hard to play this hand postflop (as you can see). Make a fairly large raise from the SB here.

You have to fold on the flop only because of the other people left to act behind you. Otherwise you would call. If you raise preflop there probably wouldn't be people to act behind you.
Old 05-24-2005, 09:20 AM

since you didn't raise preflop, they could really have any 2. my guess is that you are behind here. the reraise could be from somone wtih 2 pair, or a x, who thinks they have a better kicker. either way, i almost have to lay this down due to the misplayed preflop
Old 05-24-2005, 09:27 AM

Villan had A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 05-24-2005, 09:29 AM

Like I said, if you played the hand right you'd have more chips.
Old 05-24-2005, 09:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think MP2 could have almost anything, given that he is the small stack. I've seen desperation bets like this all the time. What you want to do, I think, is keep UTG+1 out of the pot. When the betting gets back to you on the flop, I would go all-in.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-24-2005, 09:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Raise preflop!

I limp in EP because I haven't seen any action yet. There are too many limpers. It's hard to play this hand postflop (as you can see). Make a fairly large raise from the SB here.

You have to fold on the flop only because of the other people left to act behind you. Otherwise you would call. If you raise preflop there probably wouldn't be people to act behind you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Raising with AQ out of position seems very reckless to me.

How much would you raise?
Old 05-24-2005, 10:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Like I said, if you played the hand right you'd have more chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

raising with AQo out of position is a mistake. He played the hand fine IMO. I would have probably called the all in in the 20's.
Old 05-24-2005, 10:11 AM

I'd raise to 100 preflop, expecting to take it down there. If the shortstack then went all-in preflop I would call him, expecting to see a low/medium pair that he was planning to play for set value.

If you think it's bad to raise with AQo in bad position preflop, aren't you saying that you prefer playing AQo out of position in a small pot with many players?

-Magnus