Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Which was your favorite hand - from the way it was played, to the comments about it?
66 v 34s 9 11.39%
46s v 22 23 29.11%
65o v T6o 43 54.43%
AJs v K8s 1 1.27%
A9s v QQ 2 2.53%
One I forgot to mention (please list) 1 1.27%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-04-2005, 12:37 AM

Default Re: A tough spot w a big pretty flop

Betting the flop is correct. You're basing your line on the subsequent checkraise. An after the fact event. On the flop, you are betting the King, you have the flush backup. Had our opponant raised less, a call becomes more and more obvious. If our opponant merely raised $75 from the $75 bet, the call is automatic.
Old 03-04-2005, 01:15 AM

Betting shouldn't be "automatic" - you bet for a reason.

"You're basing your line on the subsequent checkraise"

Hm, I didn't suggest a 'line', per se. I said if you choose to do A, you should do X; if, for whatever reason, you do not think A is optimal, choose B and go from there. Contingency plan good.
Old 03-04-2005, 01:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you're not willing to put all your chips in the middle on this flop, don't bet

[/ QUOTE ]

this is a retarded statement.
Old 03-04-2005, 01:36 AM

Well, the point being is I disagree with your premise that he should have checked the flop because he couldn't withstand the big raise. At the risk of belaboring the point, we bet the flop in this instance because we can honestly believe we are ahead, and we will obtain information from the resultant action from our opponant.
Old 03-04-2005, 01:50 AM

Yes it is. There are plenty of other reasons to bet and that was horribly worded.
Old 03-04-2005, 01:54 AM

to everyone who his keen on getting it all in on the flop and think your hand is good a lot of the time... look at this action again and tell me what hands you are ahead of here against a reasonable player? granted you have a huge draw so i don't think getting it all in on the flop is bad but i don't think it's optimal, rather than racing it put a little money in on the flop and then fold the turn if you're beat and get most of the money in if you're ahead that is good poker. and if you think the opponent is bluffing, though i don't see how he could be on this board with that action and his bet size, why take away your positional advantage and go all in on flop? play aturn i say
Old 03-04-2005, 02:44 AM

I don't think betting the flop is wrong. And you're right that I conceived the idea to check the flop looking back at the action. But it does have some merit.

If he had AK without the flush draw on that board, I'd definitely say pot it. But when you have 9 outs to the nuts with two cards to come, I like to give that draw a chance to find its way home. And if a $75 value bet is going to open me up to getting blown off it- especially by an unknown Party player who could be making this move with KQ/KJ (top pair+gutshot)- then I prefer to play a smaller pot, see a free turn, and go from there.

Plus, villain might bluff the turn with a hand he would have dumped on the flop.
Old 03-04-2005, 03:17 AM

Agreed then. Particularly devistating when you can put your opponant on the same flush draw you are.
Old 03-04-2005, 09:32 AM

he could have a K, a pair + straight draw, open ended on the low side, or a lower flush draw or sometimes just an outright bluff. i disagree with the call the flop then make a good decision on the turn line because i recognize that a lot of the time i will make a bad decision. if i call the flop i am gonna make a wrong decision on the turn a lot. some will be bad calls, some will be bad folds but there will be a lot of bad. sometimes tough decisions are inevitable but i think its a bad idea to create them for yourself when you have a perfectly good alternative.
Old 03-04-2005, 10:20 AM

push to trap a drawing player or to maybe fold AK...