Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em

View Poll Results: Which was your favorite hand - from the way it was played, to the comments about it?
66 v 34s 9 11.39%
46s v 22 23 29.11%
65o v T6o 43 54.43%
AJs v K8s 1 1.27%
A9s v QQ 2 2.53%
One I forgot to mention (please list) 1 1.27%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-03-2005, 04:17 PM

Default Re: A tough spot w a big pretty flop

so you think a push will get a call by a weaker hand?
Or is fsu semibluffing all his chips to the middle if he pushes?

I agree there is a decent chance fsu is ahead here, but if he is I would rather see him checkraise all in on a good turn card then push it all in here on the flop. I dont think any better hands are folding and I think all the ones that have him beat will call fairly quickly.

Again, I just dont see KQ or JT or any of those hands calling all in here. The only hand that he can realistically be beating if he gets called would be Jh8h.
Old 03-03-2005, 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
so you think a push will get a call by a weaker hand?
Or is fsu semibluffing all his chips to the middle if he pushes?

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem with just calling the flop bet is that if we are ahead on the flop a decent portion of the time, we will now be making improper turn folds way too often.
Old 03-03-2005, 04:27 PM

well like i said if the turn is <9 then part of flat calling the flop may be checkraising it all in on the turn.

sometimes.

and sometimes (rarely) pushing a Q or J as well.
Old 03-03-2005, 04:39 PM

Big hand, great flop. I'm certainly looking to get all my chips in the middle on this flop.
Old 03-03-2005, 05:49 PM

Interesting hand, and one that's easy to both overthink and underthink (as witnessed by the replies).

Did you consider checking behind on the flop? There aren't too many scare cards for you, it keeps the pot small, might disguise your hand, and gets you to the river for only $75.

This may be hindsight thinking (and sure, it could bite you if the guy hits a free gutshot or underset on the turn) but if I'm going to lay down TPTK + nut flush draw to a flop check-raise by an unknown party blind defender, then I'd prefer to take this cheaper line.

Old 03-03-2005, 07:55 PM

Big flop Mikey. I he has a set or straight then oh well. Put all the chips in the middle and don't feel bad about it. It's that simple.
Old 03-03-2005, 08:13 PM

I posted this hand not bc of the results, but bc its not often the timer almost runs out on me, but it nearly did this time.

i resisted the autoraise urge i get when I have TP and a flush draw and thought for a second. I went from almost folding, to almost calling, to then thinking that i really didnt want call and then fold a blank turn. (at the time i didnt realize the math was that close).

so i reraise pot, he thinks for a sec. and rereraises pot [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] sh!t...I call.

turn: blank

river:K [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

but his 99 was more than good.

thanks for all the good responses guys,

gl at the tables,

fsuplayer
Old 03-03-2005, 09:31 PM

Here goes, my two cents.

For me this is never a fold for one, only hellmuth would consider this a fold and he thinks everyones got aces if they raise his kk pre flop.

As regards the raise, this is an easy play if you have any idea what kind of player your against, i.e. a tight solid player will make this play with a set or two pair to reduce drawing odds, but if your against a aggro guy then the raise is too much for a set as he doesnt want to lose your action etc. As you said no read at all makes it tough.

I voted for the push, the main reasons being; and yes i believe it has allready been covered in previous posts but what the hey:
1) as allready mentioned I wont fold this flop
2) so if i am going to call the 225 and i miss the turn, he will push, at that point i do have to fold
3) if i call the 225 and hit the heart on the turn if i am playing a solid player i now dont get the rest of his chips as my hand is probably transparent.

As a sidenote i believe that qj is probably unlikely, if i had qj in villains spot i will probably smooth call the flop bet and either cr or bet a non heart turn. The hand i would be expecting from villain with no other info, from the way it has played is a flush draw with str8 possibillities of some kind.
Old 03-03-2005, 09:35 PM

missed fsu's last post
Old 03-03-2005, 11:37 PM

Good post. If you're not willing to put all your chips in the middle on this flop, don't bet - check. If you are, bet. When you should do one or the other is player dependent (is he capable of bluffing/semi-bluffing? what kind of hands is he willing to payoff with? etc.). After you've bet the flop you cannot fold with as much equity as you have vs. his probable range of hands, and just calling (as Paluka pointed out) is going to allow you to make a more costly error on the next street if you don't improve.