Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2005, 04:49 AM

Default Convince

Im an underage gambeler, I dont play online illeagly or in caniso's. But I need advice on how to tell my mother that its not all that bad. Im actually play pretty well and im not just saying that, out of a month I play maybe 10 games, 5 - 10 doller tournment pool, winner takes all. I usally win 7 times out of that, thats just this month, and use the winnings for food for my family, and bills and she still has a grudge. Can anyone tell me anything on how to change her views?
Old 11-25-2005, 05:23 AM

Default Re: Convince

Get a job and then gamble on the side and your mother will stop hassling you. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-25-2005, 05:30 AM

Ok, here is one way to deal with it. Tell your mom that there is a mathematical way to approach poker and that you have studied and mastered this. Whether or not you're a mathematical player is irrelevant, but telling her that you are using math will comfort her from thinking that you are just flat out gambling.
Old 11-25-2005, 05:35 AM

Damn, well Thanks anyway, hope that works.
Old 11-25-2005, 06:05 AM

run away from home and go play in vegas

you will be just like matt damon in rounders
Old 11-25-2005, 07:39 AM

based on your OP, I assume you have some information that your mom has a predisposition against gambling. Clearly this will make it hard for her to be okay with it.

If however this is not the case, I don't see why it should be a big deal. Next time she asks where you're going, just say "to play poker with friends" like it's nothing.
Old 11-25-2005, 09:35 AM

does she really understand what poker is? if not, explaining making correct +EV plays based on the situation won't help. she probably already is biased against poker for one reason or another. you need to find out why she is so against it. does she think it is immoral? low, sleazy? "anyone who gambles has a sickness!" is it that type mentality?
if she's unwilling to budge, then keep doing what you're doing and maybe someday she'll come around.
Old 11-25-2005, 01:20 PM

I think your mothers concern are the following:

- You're loosing money and can get in debt.
- You're spending too much time playing poker and are going to perform not as good anymore in school.

If you can convince your mother in both points she will probably let you play as much as you want. How to do it:

- take a note of all your wins AND losses. You may fix a limit on how much you can loose each month before you stop playing. Maybe you have some loses in a row and must stop for some time, but you should stick to your agreement at any point. This also helps you to stay out of trouble and may improve youre wins.

- the second one is keeping good results in school. When she sees your doing fine she will also be more likely to allow you play more. And especially mathematics will help you improve your play.

And my personal note: Be careful as you dont have a regular income loses are much harder to pay for.

Good luck
Dancer
Old 11-25-2005, 02:20 PM

Default twoplustwoummmmm.com

[ QUOTE ]
Tell your mom that there is a mathematical way to approach poker and that you have studied and mastered this. Whether or not you're a mathematical player is irrelevant, but telling her that you are using math will comfort her from thinking that you are just flat out gambling.

[/ QUOTE ]

He forgot to tell you that he sucks at math.

And his mom knows that.
Old 11-25-2005, 03:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
and use the winnings for food for my family, and bills

[/ QUOTE ]

If your the one paying the bills at home, Tell her you're playing poker and she doesn't like it find somone else to support her.