Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Texas Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2005, 01:14 AM

Default Proper level and playing site for my bankroll?

I am looking for information on where I should play and at what dollar amount. I am a semi-beginner looking to play as a hobby for fun a few hours per week--profitability in not important.

I have a bankroll of $23,500 in an account I have normally reserved for Vegas trips, strippers, etc. I put an additional $5,200 into this account each year via direct deposit from my paycheck, however due to work, wife, kids don't have time enough to do as many Vegas trips as I used to.

I would like to play online or at a Chicago area game and not spend any more money than I have mentioned above---where should I play and at what level? Also, where should I play in Vegas and at what level if I get out there?
Old 11-24-2005, 01:35 AM

Default Re: Proper level and playing site for my bankroll?

This more skill dependant than money. If you suck then the monkey nano limits like .25/5 or less or 2/4 limit live. If you have game then maybe 20/40 live and 10/20 online..
Old 11-24-2005, 04:00 AM

If you want to play just for fun, and especially if you don't expect to win, play at the lowest level you feel would give you the entertainment you desire.
Old 11-24-2005, 04:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This more skill dependant than money. If you suck then the monkey nano limits like .25/5 or less or 2/4 limit live. If you have game then maybe 20/40 live and 10/20 online..

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it is a safe assumption that if he had game he would not have to ask such a question.
Old 11-24-2005, 06:45 AM

If you don't mind losing your bankroll, you can play as high as you want. Technically you are rolled for the 10/20 and 20/40 limit games online. However, I doubt your skill is that high.

Use a small portion to maybe play .5/1 online and 2/4 live. If NL is your game, play 100NL live and 25NL online.

I wouldn't go much higher because if you suck you will lose a lot of money.
Old 11-24-2005, 08:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have a bankroll of $23,500 in an account I have normally reserved for Vegas trips, strippers, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's awesome.
Old 11-24-2005, 11:00 AM

I do not "have game". I would love to "have game" but from what I can tell the time requirement would be prohibitive for me. I would need to make about $175 per hour to have it be +EV, therefore I don't think it's realistic. Any ideas on how to get the most "game" with the least time investment----ie. any good books, dvd's, general rules, etc? (besides reading 2+2 which I'm sure is helpful).

Also I appreciate all the specific responses!
Old 11-24-2005, 11:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I do not "have game". I would love to "have game" but from what I can tell the time requirement would be prohibitive for me. I would need to make about $175 per hour to have it be +EV, therefore I don't think it's realistic. Any ideas on how to get the most "game" with the least time investment----ie. any good books, dvd's, general rules, etc? (besides reading 2+2 which I'm sure is helpful).

Also I appreciate all the specific responses!

[/ QUOTE ]

It will take quite a committment to get to that level of income and really only the talented and studious players will make it to 175/hr. You can still enjoy poker and play well to make some money on the side. Read Theory of Poker first, then SSHE and HFAP if you will play limit. You can see a discussion on the books here.
Old 11-24-2005, 02:10 PM

I've been wanting to start a seperate bank account for strippers.

with interest, how many extra lap dances are you getting per year?
Old 11-24-2005, 02:35 PM

What is your background? If it is heavy on the math side, I would say jump straight to small stakes hold'em or weighing the odds in hold'em poker to start. If you are not a math type, I would start with getting started in hold'em.

Game selection should be good at the lower levels just about anywhere. Party is nice for single table tournies and always having lots of (Hold'em) games going. Some of the other sites have "better" software, but that is mainly a quesion of taste. For heads up play, party sucks because the screw up the blinds IIRC.

Even if the money is a write off to you, and you just want to splash arround, I would still start lower to get some basics down. If you really just want to play, no limit is probably more fun. Tournaments are also nice if you want to go that route, and getting to competent there is not hard.