Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2005, 07:18 AM

Default River over-bet with open trips.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $1.00 BB (9 handed) converter

CO ($98.50)
Button ($38.50)
Hero ($136.45)
BB ($44.10)
UTG ($102.05)
UTG+1 ($127.35)
MP1 ($97.50)
MP2 ($70.70)
MP3 ($9.75)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls $1, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls $1, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls $1, Button calls $1, Hero completes, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: ($6) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $5</font>, UTG folds, MP1 calls $5, CO folds, Button folds.

Turn: ($16) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets $5</font>, Hero calls $5.

River: ($26) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets $30</font>, Hero calls $30.

I had to think a long time on this one..definetly wasn't an immediate call. I thought about bet-folding the river, but thought I might possibly be raised by a JT type hand that I was beating.

Final Pot: $86
Old 09-17-2005, 08:13 AM

Default Re: River over-bet with open trips.

he had the straight or flopped a set. i think hed raised on the flop with a J. he'd check on the turn with a flush draw. he knows you will call a big bet as you may well have the J and he knows his now full house or straight will get called.
and other possibilities then he's just a bad player as he would of misplayed his hand (even calling with a effecitvely 6 outer straight draw wouldnt be great)
Old 09-17-2005, 11:36 AM

I don't get you action on the turn, why check call? what do you feel you're beating that checking will induce a bet from? what kind of hands can survive giving a free turn card?
Old 09-17-2005, 12:06 PM

I think you played it fine. I don't like that I bet the size of the pot on the flop and then got called. If I'm Hero, I'm not really sure what's going on, but I'm not too thrilled about jacks with a queen kicker. So I'd probably check the turn also and see what happens. Villain then bets less than 1/3 of the pot, so I'd probably call too. you may have induced a bet from a draw or second pair. I could easily see Villain having Ad-7d here. I certainly wouldn't feel comfortable raising the turn, but for a small bet like that I'm not folding either. Then the river bet could easily be a continued bluff, since Hero has shown a lot of weakness up to this point. And Villain could easily have something like J-10 or J-9s and think it's good. So I would also call the river. There are too many hands Villain could have played the exact same way that you beat. Well played.
Old 09-19-2005, 12:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't get you action on the turn, why check call? what do you feel you're beating that checking will induce a bet from? what kind of hands can survive giving a free turn card?

[/ QUOTE ]

My line on the turn was to check-fold to a big bet, but he fired a really weak bet, so I felt my hand might be good. On the river, I just thought there was too good a chance he was tryinig to represent a boat or a jack that beat mine that I called.

Turns out he had 88 and MHING. Good read by villain..I'd say he probably got the most he could out of that hand
Old 09-19-2005, 12:36 PM

When he leads the turn after check/calling the flop, it makes me think he has a set of eights. Fairly predictable play. I might min-raise him to see what he does on the turn...if he pushes then I'm gone.

I wouldn't call the river bet after the turn action. Tough hand though.