Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2005, 09:44 PM

Default Assault on a TAG\'s BB.

Party 5/10. Game is good, so this is the first time I've had the opportunity to steal TAG's blind.

Folded to me in the SB, I <font color="red">raise</font> with 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. BB calls.

Flop comes 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
I <font color="red">bet</font>, BB <font color="red">raises</font>, I <font color="red">3-bet</font>, BB calls.

Turn: A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
I <font color="red">bet</font>, BB <font color="red"> raises</font>, I think for 20 seconds and call.

River: J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
I check, BB <font color="red"> bets</font>, I call.

Comments on all streets are welcome.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:17 PM

Default Re: Assault on a TAG\'s BB.

This is far too player dependant to judge at face value.

-SmileyEH
Old 08-03-2005, 10:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

-SmileyEH

[/ QUOTE ]

I hadn't tangled with him before, but he was a slightly loose TAG, like 22/13/2. This is all I knew about him, maybe if I type up some thoughts about the hand I can get some discussion.

When he raised me on the flop, I felt that it was more of a "you don't have an ace" raise than an "I have an ace" raise. I would expect him to 3-bet any ace or pair above 8's preflop, so I 3-bet for value.

The turn raise was very unpleasant, but if he didn't believe I had an ace on the flop, this card solidified his read. Either that, or he actually had an ace. I didn't think folding was right, so I called down.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:05 PM

So if he doesn't have the A he is representing, what do you put him on? The only things I can think of are an 8 (most likely better) or a flush draw maybe, and those all beat you.

I guess you can peel the turn getting 8:1, but when a diamond falls and he bets, I'd fold, I don't think you are best 9:1 without seeing him be very aggressive with very marginal hands in these situations.
Old 08-04-2005, 12:24 AM

Unless your trying to make an advertisement I fold this on the turn when he reraises. If he made a play on you congrats to him but most of the time against a tag this would be the correct play. pLus you said this is the first time you attempted to steal his blinds so it's not like you had him pissed off at you and he was making a stand.

Buffro
patexashold-em.com
Old 08-04-2005, 12:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Unless your trying to make an advertisement I fold this on the turn when he reraises. If he made a play on you congrats to him but most of the time against a tag this would be the correct play. pLus you said this is the first time you attempted to steal his blinds so it's not like you had him pissed off at you and he was making a stand.

Buffro
patexashold-em.com

[/ QUOTE ]

But you play the rest of the hand the same?
Old 08-04-2005, 12:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So if he doesn't have the A he is representing, what do you put him on? The only things I can think of are an 8 (most likely better) or a flush draw maybe, and those all beat you.

I guess you can peel the turn getting 8:1, but when a diamond falls and he bets, I'd fold, I don't think you are best 9:1 without seeing him be very aggressive with very marginal hands in these situations.

[/ QUOTE ]

His range includes: an 8, a 6, a small pp, ace, straight draw, flush draw, MAYBE something like KJ.
Old 08-04-2005, 12:47 AM

Yes, but after the turn raise, I think it is considerably less likely that a TAG (without a specific postflop read, which I haven't noticed) is getting all wild and crazy with bottom pair or a small pp or KJ, and somewhat less likely he's raising a draw on the turn (though it isn't unexpected). And any flush draw, A, and most (all?) 8's he'd defend with have you beat. So he's gotta have a busted OESD or one of the aforementioned hands like 12% on the river for a call to be right, and a good TAG may well not bet bottom pair or a small pp on the river here (what worse hands are calling him?), so that makes it even less likely. I don't think this is horrible per se, but I don't believe it to be +EV.
Old 08-04-2005, 12:52 AM

I play it the same right up to your bet on the turn. After that its no good. (preflop Id raise, bet/3-bet the flop, bet the turn...fold to the raise.
Old 08-04-2005, 12:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]

-SmileyEH

[/ QUOTE ]

Forgot to mention this as well...it depends if hes a tricky tag or an solid, doesnt-really-get-out-of-line TAG.