Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2005, 11:12 PM

Default How badly did I misplay this hand? (1 of 2)

I'm very much a beginner to stud, but I really enjoy the game. I haven't read anything devoted to the subject just yet, but I'm planning on picking up 7CSFAP within the next few weeks.

With that said, I'm wondering how badly I butchered this hand and the one that follows. I got a bit of flak for "playing the cards I wanted instead of what I had," or something like that.

The game is PokerStars .25/.50 w/ a .05 ante and .10 bring in.

I'm not entirely sure how to properly format a hand for the stud forum, so hopefully, it'll be legible.

Seat 1: xx xx T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Seat 2: xx xx 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Seat 3: xx xx 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Seat 4: xx xx 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Seat 5: xx xx 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Hero: Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Seat 3 brings it in and seats 4 and 5 fold; everyone else calls. Although there was a T out, I figured I'd see 4th street just because I didn't see anything alarming. I also figured with it being 4-handed, the K and Q in the hole would be potentially quite useful in terms of pairing up.

Seat 1: xx xx T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Seat 2: xx xx 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Seat 3: xx xx 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Hero: xx xx Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I check and seat 3 checks; seat 1 bets .25; seat 3 folds, the rest call. My plan was to see 4th street, and not commit any money unless I improved. While having two T's out is definitely worrisome, I don't see any really threatening boards at this time, so I figure I'll see one more.

Seat 1: xx xx T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Seat 2: xx xx 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Hero: Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I check and seat 2 checks; seat 1 bets .50 and I raise to 1. The other two players call. While I'm sure the c/r is debateable, I got the card I wanted and I was pretty confident that seat 1 would bet. Considering his board, the only thing that made sense was a flush draw, but in my experience, players at this level don't tend to bet nothing but a draw. Since he didn't raise, I figured he was still drawing.

Seat 1: xx xx T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Seat 2: xx xx 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Hero: Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I lead out, seat 2 calls and seat 1 raises; we both call. Obviously, I shouldn't have bet. Considering his board and the previous action, the only logical possibility is he's drawing to a flush. Since I wasn't sure if he was still drawing or made, I figured I'd take a chance. I'm thinking I probably should have folded when he raised.

On the river, I catch the 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] which is completely inconsequential. I check, seat 2 checks and seat 1 bets. I call and seat 2 folds. I knew I was beat, but I also figured the pot was big enough that I'd take a stab at it. If seat 1 had four of a suit showing, I would have been able to find a fold, but with three, I just couldn't.

Seat 1 takes down the pot with T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] for the flush.

Did I completely screw this hand up, or what? I didn't think it was too bad, and the loss didn't really bother me, but after seat 1 started to comment after the 2nd hand, I started to wonder.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 03-05-2005, 02:24 AM

Default Re: How badly did I misplay this hand? (1 of 2)

You should probably fold on third street. The ante is low, so there's no reason to get involved with less-than-marginal hands. If it's raised behind you, you shouldn't like calling.

If you're going to call anyway, I would lean towards betting on fourth street. No one is showing anything and you have some vague possibilities. I would be more excited about this hand if there weren't two Tens out, but at least your pair cards are mostly live.

Nice catch on fifth. I like the check-raise because it worked. I find that low-limit players cannot always be trusted to bet my hand for me, so I usually bet out myself. You were in this game and I wasn't, and if you felt your opponent was reliable, then kudos to you.

Why the hell wouldn't you bet sixth street? If the guy's board were [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], that would be one thing, but with the diamond in the door, a flush is not the first thing I put him on. I certainly bet, and might re-raise depending on my customer. Why can't he have two pair or trips? Sorry, but you have to pay this one off.

This is why I don't like straight draws: straights are hard to make, and they don't always win. Flushes are easier to make and harder to beat.
Old 03-05-2005, 02:56 AM

Thanks for all the input, Andy.

Honestly, this hand is usually a fold for me. I really, really hate trying to chase down straights in stud. I haven't been playing long, but I figured that out real fast. The only reason I took a stab at this one was because no one had a doorcard higher than a T. At that point, I figured I may very well be able to take the pot by catching a K and/or Q.

I considered betting fourth, but with two tens showing, I was going back and forth on whether I should even continue. I'm still just way too passive when it comes to playing draws.

The not betting sixth street was mostly in jest. There's no way I wouldn't bet it, but at the same time, I wasn't sure what the villain could have. For whatever reason, I locked onto a flush draw. You are, however, definitely correct that he could have been betting trips or something more innocuous.

Regardless, again, I appreciate the insight.
Old 03-05-2005, 05:42 AM

if i'm going to play a hand with just overcards, i'm completing on 3rd street and trying to get the pot heads up.

but if you're starting out, i wouldn't even play this hand. i usually fold hands like these unless i know i am going to be heads up or maybe against one opponent and the bring-in

mike