Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2005, 10:15 PM

Default Best strategy against this type of player.. (HU)?

The person in question seemed sane to start with, but after playing 10-15 hands HU, it got to the point where this person would bet for the sake of betting; if I bet, he/she raised for the sake of raising. It didn't matter how many times I raised, he/she was going to re-raise and it made no difference what this person had. Normally, I wouldn't care since it makes my life easier, but I wasn't hitting anything - and I suspect this is what brought about the change, - so I was folding a lot more than I wanted.

I was trying to exploit his/her tendancy to do nothing but bet by just calling down anytime I had something with showdown value, but that wasn't often. I tried to avoid the raising wars unless I had a big hand, but those too were few and far between.

Was the strategy I was trying to go with of any value, or was there a better method? It did seem to work for a bit when I was dealt/flopping something with showdown value; at that point, checking and even folding actually became an option (maybe once or twice lol). I'm hoping I run into this person again when I'm actually hitting something; if nothing else, I want to be prepared for this "style" in the future.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 05-18-2005, 10:27 PM

Default Re: Best strategy against this type of player.. (HU)?

check/call with marginal hands *most* of the time. I think middle pair would excite me (if you ever even seen a middle pair).
Old 05-18-2005, 10:39 PM

Default Re: Best strategy against this type of player.. (HU)?

Thanks. That's basically what I was doing. I also tried mixing it up a bit by pushing strong draws and pairs that would likely be best, but basically everytime, his response was to re-raise, so I didn't really want to get into raising wars that often.

I was doing pretty well to start with, but then he decided to go with this "strategy" and my cards just completely dried up. Ended up getting ground down. Getting out-played and outdrawn is an enlightening experience to say the least.

Thanks again,
Steve