Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2004, 04:45 PM

Default Re: Did I play this overpair correctly?

[ QUOTE ]
Don't you dare fold this beautiful overpair because of a little noise [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img].

Cap the flop. This flop does not make very much and you are very often ahead here. Your limping opponents could have some mixture of nines, straight draws, and JJ/TT. You are certainly ahead more than 1/4 of the time so you are making money by charging the three callers. You put one bet in, they add three, you win the pot more than 1/4 the time and get a profit on your bet.

Another important point is that when you are badly beaten someone else will probably cap anyway. What did you save by not capping? Nothing--you have to call the cap anyway! But they often won't cap when you are ahead and you lose a great chance at an extra 3 SB.

It would also be great to fold an overcard ace or king that BB might have. The cap could be the necessary extra push.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm, true. In my reply to balkii I stated that since I might have to call a cap anyways from the original raiser, I maybe should have capped myself to give me control over the hand. You don't think that since I was first to act on the turn (and therefore couldn't buy a free card if need be) I shouldn't cap? This was my concern.

[ QUOTE ]
Bombs away on the turn. This is a big pot and people seem to like their hands. They called one so they will probably call two more. Side point: in this situation BB will almost never fold. He is short-stacked and invariably that creates a lemming-like rush to go all-in. Often players in his situation will raise all-in hands that don't remotely warrant a call.

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't agree more. A draw like JT is even a possibility here and I didn't make the inferior hands pay enough to see the river. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Thanks for the reply.
Old 08-09-2004, 04:47 PM

OK thanks. Hopefully someday I'll increase my meager bankroll enough to post here. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 08-09-2004, 06:17 PM

Default Results

BB has Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] [two pairs, queens and nines]

UTG has 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [a full house, Fives full of nines]

UTG+1 has 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [a full house, Fours full of nines]

And MHIG.
Old 08-09-2004, 06:39 PM

1) Post in Micro Limits
2) I call the 3-bet on the flop hoping he bets into me on the turn as well
3) I cap the turn because I have the nutz
4) I don't believe he caught his case 9 so I raise until he is all in.