Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2005, 01:31 PM

Default Re: My screen name

I found your stats in my notes.txt file. This is a composite of multiple PT databases so I haven't got all the PT goodies in front of me, but this is what I'm looking at when I play you. Actually it's what I would see because we've never actually played each other.

Hands: 2787 (6-max)
VP$IP: 40%
PFR: 20.3%

Bets flop when checked to: 47%
Raises flop when confronted with a bet/raise: 23%
Calls flop when confronted with a bet/raise: 32%

Bets turn when checked to: 47%
Raises turn when confronted with a bet/raise: 21%
Calls turn when confronted with a bet/raise: 42%

Bets river when checked to: 45%
Raises river when confronted with a bet/raise: 11%
Calls river when confronted with a bet/raise: 53%

Steals: 39%
Defends SB: 37%
Defends BB: 72%

Based solely on your stats it's possible (IMO) that you are a winning player. Your preflop numbers aren't as bad as your initial post makes you sound. It looks like a big chunk of your extra hands are steals and big blind defenses. While you are probably doing too much, putting in one more from the BB is never going to be a big mistake and probably deters some stuff. Certainly I see the 20% PFR and the 72% BB defense and I won't be getting out of line against your blind.

Postflop your numbers are consistent with playing pretty well. That doesn't mean you do play well, of course, but the total amounts of betting, raising, and folding are consistent with a good 5/10 player.
Old 09-05-2005, 02:07 PM

Default Re: Does preflop even matter at all??

Once again, StellarWind puts it best.

Sometimes it surprises me how, after all of the study and thought and analysis that gets done here, how much confusion and sloppy thinking remains about this stuff.

Can you be a winning player and still make lots of bad plays? Yeah, of course, there is a ton of wiggle room in Hold'em - lots of places where the penalty for bad plays is slight, and lots of feedback loops where short-term "bad" plays can eventually sort of counteract their own negative value (shania).

But playing reasonably well plus making a lot of bad plays doesn't add up to a "style" of play that can be evaluated as a whole. You don't beat this game by playing this style or that style, you beat it by making as many good plays as you possibly can.

The fact that AlexTheGreat equates raising any pocket pair UTG with cold calling a raise with 93s as two examples of his "style" is a pretty good indication that he doesn't really know what he's doing, or talking about.

/mc
Old 09-05-2005, 05:43 PM

Default Re: My screen name

[ QUOTE ]
I found your stats in my notes.txt file. This is a composite of multiple PT databases so I haven't got all the PT goodies in front of me, but this is what I'm looking at when I play you. Actually it's what I would see because we've never actually played each other.

Hands: 2787 (6-max)
VP$IP: 40%
PFR: 20.3%

Bets flop when checked to: 47%
Raises flop when confronted with a bet/raise: 23%
Calls flop when confronted with a bet/raise: 32%

Bets turn when checked to: 47%
Raises turn when confronted with a bet/raise: 21%
Calls turn when confronted with a bet/raise: 42%

Bets river when checked to: 45%
Raises river when confronted with a bet/raise: 11%
Calls river when confronted with a bet/raise: 53%

Steals: 39%
Defends SB: 37%
Defends BB: 72%

Based solely on your stats it's possible (IMO) that you are a winning player. Your preflop numbers aren't as bad as your initial post makes you sound. It looks like a big chunk of your extra hands are steals and big blind defenses. While you are probably doing too much, putting in one more from the BB is never going to be a big mistake and probably deters some stuff. Certainly I see the 20% PFR and the 72% BB defense and I won't be getting out of line against your blind.

Postflop your numbers are consistent with playing pretty well. That doesn't mean you do play well, of course, but the total amounts of betting, raising, and folding are consistent with a good 5/10 player.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool....Thanks for posting that....It's too bad I worded my OP like a twat...It was 3 in the morning and I think many people just automatically placed me in "donk" category...
Old 09-05-2005, 06:19 PM

Gosh, what a study in self-absorption.....
Old 09-06-2005, 12:56 PM

In summary: you are a 40/20 LAG making 1 BB/100.

If you play well post-flop, this is believable at Party 5/10 6max. So this is not particularly interesting really. And if you can manage 1 BB/100 like that, you could almost certainly do 2 or 3 BB/100 with a more reasonable pre-flop strategy.

But that doesn't sound like much fun, does it? Good luck.
Old 09-06-2005, 01:30 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My ID is different than my 2+2 handle....

I'm sure I probably am running very well....

[/ QUOTE ]

When i was at 5/10 we talked a couple times and you told me that you were alexthegreat from 2+2. He also played exactly how you describe yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 09-06-2005, 01:48 PM

i play with a wealthy crazy player who plays like this live. He is very loose and aggressive, makes crazy plays, and when he heats up he will drain 4-5 racks off the table. Even though other players know exactly what he is doing he still gets away with murder since most players are still going to wait for premium hands before they go after him.
now, he is got to be a longterm loser but he settles dowm a bit if he looses a rack or two. And i have seen him do this many sessions in a row.
Now, if you are aggressive and playing this way online and 6maxx with such high volitility you could well go for a goodwhile before getting your ass severly handed to you. But, rest assured it will happen.