Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2004, 11:19 PM

Default Anybody have a problem with this slowplay?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds.

Flop: (5.50 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP2 checks.

Turn: (2.75 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (4.75 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP2 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero caps</font>, MP2 calls.

Final Pot: 12.75 BB

Anybody have a problem with how I played this in an average LP game?

I think I'm good with it, but it stung... not trying to whine about bad beats, just honestly curious if it was a good slowplay.
Old 10-29-2004, 11:24 PM

Default Re: Anybody have a problem with this slowplay?

You raised preflop and are heads-up. The flop check sucks. The turn check sucks more. The river cap sucks a little less than the flop/turn check, but still sucks. A lot. This entire "slowplay" sucks.
Old 10-29-2004, 11:25 PM

If I decided to check the flop, not a bad play, I would bet the turn. However, having checked I have a big problem with you just calling the turn and not check raising.
Old 10-29-2004, 11:28 PM

OK, fair enough, but help me out - I'm trying to learn here...

Having flopped what appeared to be a monster, I wanted to get maximum value out of the hand. I wanted him to think he was in the lead - is that wrong?

On the river, I put him on a raggedy 6 and thought I trapped him...

What's the right thinking here?
Old 10-29-2004, 11:32 PM

Tosh, my thinking on calling the turn bet was that he'd fold to a check raise and that I could get two more bets out of him on the river. On an 8-3-6-9 board, the MOST I could reasonably put him on was trips - I guess I was thinking it was a "value call" - does that make sense? or am I really off base here?
Old 10-29-2004, 11:37 PM

I'd bet out on the flop with this one. You're the preflop raiser so he's expecting a bet. With a 1 suited flop you're not likely to get much action anyway. He might try and check-raise you on a bluff or with a set. Plus, if another [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] falls on the turn, he's just going to fold.

If you don't bet the flop you need to raise on the turn. Again, if the 4th [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] falls on the river, he'll fold most hands. If he's on a full house draw, you'll get value on the turn.
Old 10-29-2004, 11:40 PM

i would c/r the turn here...but there is no way that i would let the river get checked through, i am definitely betting out...
Old 10-29-2004, 11:41 PM

if you put him on trips on the turn, then raise, he will call, even two pair will call. I can see checking the flop, but you have to raise the turn. Then, your ragged 6 read is horrible. What ragged six is calling a pre flop raise? Lastly, you can never be the one to cap without the nuts unless you have a SOLID read on your opponent.
Old 10-29-2004, 11:48 PM

I don't get what you are saying, he will fold to a turn check but still bet the river and call a raise? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 10-29-2004, 11:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd bet out on the flop with this one. You're the preflop raiser so he's expecting a bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

EXACTLY. I think this is one of those big hands you want to play fast. As GrekeHaus said, "you're expected to bet" here. When the preflop raiser checks the flop, I smell a trap...

For intance, if you just check the flop and then wait to raise the turn (as you were at the very least supposed to do here), your opponent will more than likely realize he's way behind and fold. You've gained one big bet.

On the other hand, let's say you bet out on the flop, as expected, and HOPE your opponent(s) has a high heart. He'll likely call your flop, call your turn, ... and in this case you're hoping he makes his flush! Pay Day! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Of course, as GrekeHaus also stated, if your opponent doesn't have a heart, you're likely not getting much action out of him anyway.

It sucks in this case, cuz it looks like your opponent made a boat, so he more than likely either had trips or two pair at least by the turn. In which case he's not folding regardless. Neverthess, you've got to take action earlier on... that's the more profitable play IN THE LONG RUN.

Adam