Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2005, 01:42 PM

Default Re: $11 ITM - Tricky Situation - 66

[ QUOTE ]
I only called off 1/6 of my stack (not a good move, but not outrageously horrible either??).

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, I hate to be harsh, but it's most likely horrible. The only saving grace is if you plan to make a stop-n-go play, pushing *any* flop without even looking.

There doesn't seem to be much if any fold equity pre-flop because, if you push, button only has to call 800 into a 2200 pot, unless he's worried about SB reopening with a raise. If button calls, SB gets an even better price.

So, looks like stop-n-go here. I'm not thrilled about it, but you are too short-stacked to fold this.
Old 10-19-2005, 02:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So, looks like stop-n-go here. I'm not thrilled about it, but you are too short-stacked to fold this.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think a stop-n-go is a really, really bad idea facing 2 opponents. like most everyone else, I am pushing preflop.
Old 10-19-2005, 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i think a stop-n-go is a really, really bad idea facing 2 opponents. like most everyone else, I am pushing preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you have no FE, how can a stop-and-go possibly lose you anything?

If you think you have FE, please explain why, instead of just stating your opinion. Thank you.
Old 10-19-2005, 02:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If you think you have FE, please explain why, instead of just stating your opinion. Thank you.

[/ QUOTE ]

sorry - your criticism is valid. my opinion is that, in this particular hand, you are more likely to get a fold from at least one (although probably not both) if you push preflop, but if stop-n-go you have given two opponents chances to hit on an overcard on the flop. i would rather take my chances vs. one opponent in exchange for the little extra slice of fold equity you get by stop-n-go-ing. i think that the extra fold equity you get via stop-n-go is small vs. one opponent and virtually nil vs. two opponents.

any thoughts?
Old 10-19-2005, 03:37 PM

Fair enough - its an easy push on all arguments.

I've been doing alot of analysis of players and situations in the $11s - probably more than necessary, I guess with certain hands given your stack, there is only 1 decision to make.
Old 10-19-2005, 03:44 PM

i agree with this 100%. the advantage u gain by even possibly pushing one of them out of the hand is far greater than the slight FE you might gain from a stop-n-go.
Old 10-19-2005, 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

sorry - your criticism is valid. my opinion is that, in this particular hand, you are more likely to get a fold from at least one (although probably not both) if you push preflop, but if stop-n-go you have given two opponents chances to hit on an overcard on the flop. i would rather take my chances vs. one opponent in exchange for the little extra slice of fold equity you get by stop-n-go-ing. i think that the extra fold equity you get via stop-n-go is small vs. one opponent and virtually nil vs. two opponents.

any thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree I would much prefer to play 66 against one opponent. I guess I'd just have to make the decision for push vs. SnG there at the table.

I just saw others assuming you had obvious fold equity, and I really don't see it. A decent player has a theoretically correct call, and fish love to call and check you down in this type of situation to try to move up a place.
Old 10-19-2005, 03:55 PM

By running a stop and go here, you risk letting someone hit something that could beat you that they might have folded to a push. Like Q7s and the flop comes 10,7,3, for example. A good looking flop for you, that has you now crushed. He would have folded your push, but you let him see it cheap and he hit. If he calls your push and hits, more power to him. But with 66, I would be content to push here and try to take down the pot right now. Someone with an ace, or over cards will probably call your push pre-flop anyway, but you want to the pot to be heads if you can.
Old 10-19-2005, 03:56 PM

I agree too. You can't stop-n-go when you aren't first to act anyway. By definition you need to act first on the flop. In this case, SB could bet out and there goes your "stop-n-go" plan.

I might fold this if I thinkg SB and Button are apt to go to the river together, which is completely read dependent.

But, calling here is definitely the worst option. By bleeding your 1/6 you are effectively reducing your future FE much more than you are realizing.
Old 10-19-2005, 03:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
By running a stop and go here, you risk letting someone hit something that could beat you that they might have folded to a push. Like Q7s and the flop comes 10,7,3, for example. A good looking flop for you, that has you now crushed. He would have folded your push, but you let him see it cheap and he hit. If he calls your push and hits, more power to him. But with 66, I would be content to push here and try to take down the pot right now. Someone with an ace, or over cards will probably call your push pre-flop anyway, but you want to the pot to be heads if you can.

[/ QUOTE ]

You might want to double-check the stacks and pot. You have very little chance of "taking down the pot now."