Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2005, 01:40 AM

Default Looking for some insight

Alright, I just busted out 9th in a live NLH rebuy tournament. It wasn't a large field, but first place paid 500$ with only a 20$ buy in. From the start I did well, quickly doubling up when I flopped a set of 4s. I avoided costly hands while making sure I picked up the blinds every now and then (the blinds rose rapidly) - Going into the break I was chip leader overall with ~8000 in chips. Once again, I got a great start out of the break, knocking a player out when my QQ held up against AJ.

At this point, things slowed down considerably. I picked up the blinds every now and then, but I also lost a pot or two to short stacks going all in. When the time came for the final table I was at ~14k, which was 2nd. The chip leader had a monster stack, and I never was quite sure of how much he entered with. I estimated at ~30k (He had gone on a run and knocked several people out, forcing the tables to merge)

When I sat down at the final table, I found that the chip leader was 2 seats to my right and would be the starting BB. I fold the first hand I get, but the 2nd I pick up is
A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. The blinds are 400/800. I am UTG, and the chip leader is SB. At this point, I am not quite sure how to play the hand. While I do have a good hand, my position could not be worse and the chip leader is already involved. On the other hand, just about everyone else at the table is hovering at ~6k in chips, which is only around half my stack. I raise 3k hoping to get some action from one of the short stacks. They all fold to the chip leader, however, who after a second, calls. I decide that if I don't hit the flop I will check/fold and get out of the hand -3.8k : The problem is, I hit the flop.

Flop - K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] x [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I decide the hand is now worht playing, and I raise another 3k. The chip leader thinks a bit, and then calls. I believe he has a heart draw, so I wait for the turn.

Turn - 10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I am glad that it is not a heart. I raise 5k.

River - A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

At this point the chip leader says "All in - wait, it's your turn" With a sick feeling in my stomach I go all in for my last 4k.

Chip leader turns over Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Any suggestions on how I could have played this hand better? What I did right, what I did wrong?
Old 07-26-2005, 05:19 AM

Default Re: Looking for some insight

bet more on the flop.

were there antes?

if he does call on the flop, theres no way hes folding for any amount on the turn.
Old 07-26-2005, 07:07 AM

I agree. You bet less than half the pot on the flop. I don't go making bets that beg for calls with a flop like that (two to a straight and two to a flush).
Old 07-26-2005, 08:01 AM

bet the pot on the flop and push the turn. don't let anybody draw out on you.
Old 07-26-2005, 08:31 AM

It doesn't matter how much you bet on any street, he is calling you with this hand. Although I probably bet 2/3rds the pot on the flop, check the turn, and check/call or check/fold the river depending on how much he bets. I wouldn't be looking to play a big pot here.