Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2005, 06:19 AM

Default 50,000 hand check-up Part 1 (general summary)

Well, I think it's about time for a thorough examination of my game. This is a good milestone, and I'd rather do it here instead of wait til say 100K. I'm going to present this info in 2 separate posts, this one containing overall numbers and a 2nd one focusing more on specific leaks.

Hopefully this will be helpful to me as you all give your analyses, thoughts, and suggestions, and will help you as well in examining how and why my numbers differ from yours. Although my game contains a lot of holes, please help me focus on the biggest ones first. I'd love to hear any feedback.

First of all, here is my overall summary:

and here is my summary broken down by position:

I still feel I'm a bit too tight preflop. How do my steal %'s look? How about my blind defense? SD %'s?

My aggro numbers are:

Flop - 3.06, Turn - 2.92, River - 1.73, Total (w/o PF) 2.41
Folded to a river bet - 46.6%

This "Folded to a river bet" percentage seems too high to me. I haven't gone through in detail to see but I'll fold busted draws on the river. Also, I'll fold overcards that don't hit with a medium sized pot (~ 5-8 BB). Is this number too high? If it is, does that mean I'm probably calling/betting too much on 4th street?

Edit: the link to Part 2 is here.
Old 03-28-2005, 07:23 AM

Default Re: 50,000 hand check-up Part 1 (general summary)

i think you need to raise more PF. the best part about posting the stats for you is the exhaustive self analysis you had to go through in writing these posts. No one knows your game better than you
Old 03-28-2005, 07:57 AM

Is 8% PFR not high enough already? I dont know. Im new to PT.
Old 03-28-2005, 09:58 AM

There is a problem somewhere with your post-flop game for a BB/100 rate to be below 1.
Old 03-28-2005, 11:52 AM

His PFR is more than fine.
Old 03-28-2005, 11:53 AM

I didn't read your "I'm too tight" thread, so I don't know if you've improved this; But you're tight like a tiger.
Old 03-28-2005, 11:55 AM

went to showdown is 5 points too low and won at showdown is 5 points too high...

...and if i were a betting man i'd bet your folded to river bet is too high, so you are calling flop and turn and folding on the river in pots where you should be maybe folding flop. Post aggression numbers and fold to river bet
Old 03-28-2005, 01:10 PM

congratulations you've beaten 2/4 over a decent sample. that's nothing to cry about [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

but, you could stand to loosen up a little. Nate Tha Great recommends:

-defending more
-overlimping with decent hands more in the CO or Button
-stealing more
-overlimping more with small pps and decent suited connectors in early position

as 4 ways for a tightie to loosen up in this post

You Play Too Tight

caveat emptor with that post though.
Old 03-28-2005, 01:14 PM

That;s what jumped out at me. I'll bet it's not just the river, too, as aggression numbers are elevated (folding when you should call can skew them up).

From now on, consider yourself tight-aggressive-tenacious and get to showdown more frequently.
Old 03-28-2005, 04:07 PM

3 comments

1. Your PF VP$IP is too high. Note how your BB/100 is better at 3/6 when you lowered your VP$IP from 31 to 23. Lower it to 20, or better 18 (but harder to do self-discipline-wise) and you will get into fewer sticky situations. It matters.

My biggest online leak pre-PT was to play too many hands. I watched my VP$IP go from 28 to 25 to 23 to 20 over a few days, and stay there, and many many bad post flop situations were avoided. My win rate went up. Not losing big pots with 2nd best....

2. Never call two cold pre-flop. Ever. Ever. I didn't do it for my first 1000 or 2000 hands just for discipline sake. I either raised or folded to 2 bets cold. I then loosened up 3-4 times and called. I lost big pots every time. Then I did data gathering from 30-60. The losers there, even if they were otherwise very good players --> they lost their biggest pots when they called two cold. Always instead of folding.

3. You may be folding a bit too often on the river. I need to check my own numbers, but this one is harder to quantify. My rule of thumb is to bet out on the river with overcards (or call) against certain player profiles. Like people with dice next to their name [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

good luck,

Mark