Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2003, 10:14 PM

Default how about this one

Ok here is a hand I played recently, perhaps some of u would care to comment. I kind of like reading hand histories better but I'll try and descibe it as clearly as I can (although I haven't yet figured out how to get those pretty suit icons, how does one do those?) .
It's a 100 nl party game 1/2 blinds, full table.
I get AhKs UG (I have 300$). I raise min to 4 there is a raise to 10 and a couple callers, I call. 4 see flop, $40 pot. flop comes Ah 6s 9s, I (1st) have top pair top kicker but flush draw on board so I raise pot. Get one caller from middle position(fairly solid), who has $500. Pot is now $120.
Turns in 7s, making board Ah 6s 9s 7s, Now I am woried about the flush so I check, get raised 60 (half pot). I have a king for flush draw and top pair (pot180,), he might have nut flush, but I decide to call. Turn comes As giving me nut flush, I go all in and get called.
Comments?

Old 09-08-2003, 12:42 AM

Default Re: how about this one

Fold to the $60 bet on the turn. I'd be thinking he has a set on the turn while you're only on a draw. And you would be drawing dead if the river happens to pair the board.

But I don't know near what anyone else on these boards know so take my comment on that hand the same way you'd take a comment from someone that's only been playing a few weeks.
Old 09-08-2003, 02:16 AM

yeah I think the turn was my big mistake, not that I was thinking this at the time, but it seems with a set he would want to re-rasie on the flop b/c of the flush draw. although I think an A w/flush draw is very plausible, which should still lead me to fold. (he had pocket 6's giving him the set).
Old 09-08-2003, 03:38 AM

I'd bet about $50 on the turn.
Old 09-08-2003, 12:04 PM

"but it seems with a set he would want to re-rasie on the flop b/c of the flush draw"

I have a really tough time myself against players that don't make what I consider to be the logical play.

Anyhow, it's a tough spot on the turn. If you fold, you may look weak and people may take shots at you when scare cards hit the board. However, if I think through it logically, I think I would still fold here. If you make a flush on the river (without pairing the board), you can't like it much because you have to worry about a higher flush. Of course, making nut flush while pairing the board is worse (not to mention that trying to hit nut flush is chasing a 1 outer).

Having said all that, (and this hyper-aggression may be a weakness in my game - need to start using pokertracker or something), I may have sensed weakness by his bet on the turn (if I decided that he has wasn't slow-playing his flush) and I would have come in over the top all-in on the turn (representing the flush myself). I think that is better than calling in any case. In hindsight, since you were destined to lose all your chips anyway, this should've been your play because he may well have folded to the check-raise all in. Folding is still the logical best play.

Old 09-08-2003, 01:00 PM

I don't think you can beat yourself up over this one. You very reasonably put him on a flush draw on the flop which got there on the turn. His betting was consistant with that. On the turn, you are getting 3 to 1 on your call, plus implied odds (though they turned out to be reverse implied odds). However, given that you might be drawing dead, here, giving it up is certainly a reasonable option.

However, I don't really put him on a nut flush draw, because I suspect that he would have raised the flop with top pair and a nut draw. It depends a lot on the player -- there are players who I know would only play the nut flush draw here, and some I know would play any draw.

On the river, you hit what would be the perfect card if your read was correct. You have to go with your instincts, and continue improving them.

However, I do have an issue with the minimum raise preflop, if that is really what you meant to say. It isn't enough to push anybody out, just to build a pot so they can break you with their trap hands. What you would really like is to raise enough so that you are only getting called by AJ and AQ.

Old 09-08-2003, 02:00 PM

Hi,

I have found that playing PL Omaha HI and NL HE online cuts my variance immensely. What this means is that I sometimes do not get the most from a hand, and I almost never call borderline situations, so that I sometimes miss big pots that I would have won: But my BR is always going up. Slowly and surely (but much faster than at limit) and it is much more interesting to play. And no swings at all --I get away from trouble hands quickly. And I started with PL O Hi, so I am very wary of monsters under beds, because they always are in that game. Anyway, I would have played this very differently.

1. I would have bet 1/2 as much on the flop, and then folded to a raise. If he has a set, or top two, I expect him to raise, you can get off cheaply.

2. I would have folded to his bet on the turn. Ok, maybe I am a wuss, but if I were him, and I did not have AA, I would fear you, UNLESS of course I had AA or perhaps A9. And 99 or perhaps 66 has to take a shot, even I would bet that. (A9, 99 or 66 have to take the tisk or you having AA, especially after the preflop no reraise)

3. Forget the river, I would never have made it that far. But fold there to a bet, you must know by then that you are beaten.

And I really would have played it that way. And they do not run over me.

There are so many bad players, people playing shortstacked all the time. People who bet their quads (in O HI) out and then whine when people fold. People betting and raising 2nd best. etc etc. Wait for hands with them...Why risk it all?

Mark