Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2005, 11:04 AM

Default Too many options for this set

Button is a solid player from what I gather
and is rarely in a pot with me.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (9 handed) converter

Button ($50.75)
SB ($34.85)
BB ($38.90)
Hero ($81.95)
UTG+1 ($71.20)
MP1 ($49.50)
MP2 ($10.85)
MP3 ($44.90)
CO ($57)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
Hero calls $0.50, UTG+1 calls $0.50, MP1 calls $0.50, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to $1.5</font>, Button calls $1.50, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls $1, UTG+1 calls $1, MP1 calls $1.

Flop: ($8.25) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets $3</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $8</font>, Hero ???

It started off being a check/raise, but there is another aggressor in the pot... Continue slow play? Continue Check-raise? Wait for turn? Not sure what to do here
Old 08-29-2005, 11:12 AM

Default Re: Too many options for this set

That board is too draw heavy to go for a check anything, I am leading here. Fastplay is the new slowplay.

As played I'm probably calling here to try to keep CO in, but I'm puking if the turn is a heart. However I think the check 3bet line gets too many folds from hands you are crushing to raise here, I think calling to try to extract on later streets is worth giving the card to a draw in this case.
Old 08-29-2005, 11:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Fastplay is the new slowplay.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha. NH

I lead this flop, as played I still check-raise. The re-raise is small, and dislike about every possible card on the turn that does not pair the board.
Old 08-29-2005, 11:44 AM

I would've led into the field so that UTG+1 and/or MP1 would put some money in before the preflop raiser makes a raise (as he almost certainly will if he has an overpair). I don't like checkraising here because you only trap one person (button) between you and the preflop raiser while leading out traps two.

As played, I raise when it gets back to me. Button's raise is not large enough to commit anybody and, as kongo stated, there are a ton of turn cards you don't really want to see, particularly so if several people make it to the turn.

I think your read is off... what hand does a solid button player make this tiny raise with?
Old 08-29-2005, 11:50 AM

I agree that you lead the flop. Let him raise the possible overpair and go from there. If button cold calls the raise I think I three bet all-in.

As played am I a nit for wanting to three bet all-in? Button could have 444 and there is no way he's folding. If he flopped the set of 9's I guess you pay the man his money.
However, he folds JJ and 10 10 here I think.