Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2005, 06:37 AM

Default how good is your average winning 109er???

i recently moved up to the 109s and righ now im gettin my balls handed to me....im running real bad too....whats the difference between a good 55er (17+roi) and a winning 109er(10+roi) in terms of skills......is the skill level that far apart....im getting to bubble play too often to have a less than 30% itm.....any advice adapting to the tighter players and to the higher number of players at higher levels
Old 10-25-2005, 06:39 AM

Default Re: how good is your average winning 109er???

How sure are you that you're 17+ ROI at the $55s? What is your sample size (at both 55s and 109s) ?
Old 10-25-2005, 06:43 AM

folding your first 30 hands, then going apeshit... wont cut it anymore.
Old 10-25-2005, 06:46 AM

at the 55s im actually 18.8 at 1600sngs.....and at the 109s i have only 100 or so(negative roi [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]).....but i feel that the 109s are a lot harder...i can sit down at 4 55s and have confidence that i can win cash in at least 2 of them or all them....but at the 109s...i hate to say this, but it scares me a little....should i just play through it.....and see how the next 100 or so goes before i think about a drop to the 55s
Old 10-25-2005, 06:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
folding your first 30 hands, then going apeshit... wont cut it anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]
i always play everyhand and build a lot of my huge leads in the early levels..and in the later levels i always played it smart...not too many crazy maniac moves
Old 10-25-2005, 06:57 AM

If you play like that you should be fine in the 215's.
Old 10-25-2005, 06:59 AM

r u being sarcastic...if ur not thank you, but i know i cant soooo yea....
Old 10-25-2005, 07:03 AM

Well basically you said that you play good early and smart late, so that should be a recipe for succes i think.
Old 10-25-2005, 07:08 AM

better question: are there things i should be doing at the 109s that i didnt need to do at the 55s to win....any new tricks i should know...whats the biggest change in play from the 55s to the 109s
Old 10-25-2005, 07:10 AM

Do you multitable? If so, you might want to cut down on how many you play at a time when starting at a higher level. I find that when my stats start to droop it tends to be from getting into too much of an autopilot way of playing, which comes from not paying attention to the action at the table, which comes from playing too many at a time.
I haven't played the 100s in a while, I play the 200s mostly, and I gotta tell you, I think the play up there stinks as well! At every table there seem to be 2 or 3 donks just ready to call an early game pf allin with AJ. If you think you can afford it, you might want to just play the 215s because I really don't feel like the skill level is that much better than the 100s. It's certainly not that much better than the 55s, which is what I played a bunch of recently before starting up again with the 200s.

So I'd say just play one or two at a time, pay a lot of attention, take notes on the players, be sure you're being good and aggressive on the bubble, play the 215s if you can afford it, and I think you'll see your numbers improve.

And for what it's worth, don't be sweating it after 100. Yes, play a couple hundred more before questioning your game.

I know that people like to multitable, but at the higher levels ABC poker just doesn't cut it anymore. You need to know how the 2 players on your left are playing so that you can know what sort of hands they'll call with late. You need to know if the guy who suddenly has 3500 is a good player or some donk who got really lucky. When playing too many tables, we don't tend to pick up on these things.
I find a DRASTIC improvement in my game and my results of when I'm playing 2 at a time compared to 4 or more. In fact, after 1000 sngs at the 215s, my results are right around break even for the 200 or so where I was played 4 or more. But for the other 800, when I was really concentrating and playing my A game, playing only 1 or 2 at a time, there is not even a group of 100 where I'm down, and I've got a 15% ROI. (yes, I know 1000 still isn't hitting long run. You get my point though.)
Good luck and let us know how it goes.