Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2005, 08:47 PM

Default Colombian Poker Strategy

game in Barranquilla played exactly like 10 handed no-limit holdem expect everyone antes $10 per hand (no blinds), and the person who bet first the previous round bets first next round.

the buy in is $400 and the game plays wild. 50% of the time everyone will see the flop for free, the other 50% someone will bet $75-$150 and 2-4 people will call. on virtually everyhand one or two players are all in before the river card, then they rebuy and the game goes on.

the small buy in (relative to the antes), and the players affinity for gambling makes the game pretty wild.

my primary question is:

how should i play this game preflop?
Old 08-21-2005, 09:26 PM

Default Re: Colombian Poker Strategy

I wish $400 was a small buy-in for me! But it sounds like you should be super tight with these guys, and only play monsters. Seems as though they will call with anything, if they are playing reckless, so be tight.
Old 08-21-2005, 10:22 PM

I half agree with bigscore, but you can't let everyone see half the flops for free, unless they're the half you want to see. If you've got a better than average hand in late position, stick $100 in and see what happens. If you get 2 to 4 callers, then bet preflop with a good drawing hand. If you get 1, bet preflop with a strong hand. If none, bet every hand. Try it with $400 and $40 just to see what happens there. There's got to be a profitable niche there.

If someone else opens or you're in early position, get used to folding a lot and winning a few juicy pots.
Old 08-21-2005, 11:16 PM

with 100$ in middle every round+ 400$ stacks, The ideal strategy in this game would be to try to nail a flop with speculative hands like low-mid pocket pairs/suited connectors and push preflop with TT+ AQs+ depending on position.
Old 08-21-2005, 11:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wish $400 was a small buy-in for me! But it sounds like you should be super tight with these guys, and only play monsters. Seems as though they will call with anything, if they are playing reckless, so be tight.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not even close. By playing "super tight" you just ante yourself away. I don't know what the correct strategy would be, but this is definitely not it.
Old 08-22-2005, 07:16 PM

like he said.
edit:
Get into as many cheap flops with good drawing hands as possible. Obviously you get odds to call your draws down. Avoid AJo since you don't know if your Ace or Jack high pair will be good to some crazy two pair etc. Play lots of suited connectors and low PP. Raise with big PP AKs I think call raises with damn good hands.