Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2005, 02:34 AM

Default question about HU play, Matusow vs. Friedman on FTP

i was watching this heads up match between Mike Matusow and agent007 on Full Tilt Poker last night, who Matusow was referring to as Prahlad, so I can assume it was him. They were sitting on a 25/50 table with one other player, then Friedman goes 50/100, and they move. Prahlad proceeded to take around 30k from Matusow, and I wondered if he realized that Matusow was playing poorly at the time and asked him to up the stakes for that reason.

During the match I was noticing something that Matusow was doing that made my eyes twich a little bit, because it didn't seem like a good play to make. It happened like 4 times during the match. Matusow would raise on the button to 300 preflop, Friedman calls, then bets out 600 after the flop, and Matusow would min-raise him to 1,200. When I saw it the first time it didn't look like a good move, and it got worse the next 3 times. The first time Matusow did it, Friedman folded, the next time he called the min-raise and bet big on the river to get Mike to fold. The third and fourth time he re-raised to get Mike to fold. Maybe Matusow called one of the re-raises, but he still lost all 4 pots. I don't quite remember specifics of the hands, I just remember not liking this play over and over, and I didn't want to type anything about it in the chat-box and get berated by Matusow, who does that occassionally on FTP. Either way, I would like to hear some opinions on min-raises like that, and if they are frequently used by high-stakes players, or if it is just a bad move.
Old 12-01-2005, 02:43 AM

Default Re: question about HU play, Matusow vs. Friedman on FTP

I can almost guarantee that was not Prahlad. Prahlad's SN on FTP is Spirit Rock
Old 12-01-2005, 02:46 AM

agent007 could be Jesus Christ, I just wanted some opinions on Matusow's play.

"You tellin' me you Jesus Christ can't hit a curveball?"

i wonder how He would play poker.
Old 12-01-2005, 02:52 AM

Poor guy ... wins millions in tournaments, losses all his $ constantly in cash games and sports betting ... how can some people have no self control?