Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 07:41 PM

Default Re: Paul Phillips post on his website about 2+2

[ QUOTE ]
I don't get why so many care whether paul phillips is here. If he wants to post fine. if he doesn't his loss. end of story. Why does everyone kiss his butt? Does he pay you guys to go around telling everyone how important he is?

[/ QUOTE ]

This comment feels rhetorical and smarmy, but if you seriously don't understand why people value his input, you're either inattentive or don't understand the comments of others very well.

And, to be clear, my reply relates to why people care if he's here in the sense that if he's not here, we must search elsewhere for his input.

A lot of people don't kiss his butt, including me. I find him interesting because he's insightful, provocative, and highly experienced at large buy-in poker tournaments. And he clearly puts a great deal of thought into his posts, much more than almost anyone on this site. I forgive his ego and other imperfections because I'd rather have brutal honesty and playfulness than droll politeness, because I have a similarly large ego so I don't find his threatening or really bothersome, and because I value intelligence more than I value conformity or politeness. I also appreciate Paul's strong convictions.

Given the nature of gamblers and poker players generally and how they so often do not fit into the mainstream 9-5 culture of US and Western World with regular schedules and corporate overlords, it's entirely unsurprising that they many of them have a predilection for Paul's posts and his presence here. The response to the loss of Paul on this site was quite predictable. Some people say "we lost something good" while others say "screw him for his ego and/or audacity."

There's also a clear trend of people being incredibly critical of public figures on this site. Given the response to the the poll despite that trend says a lot to me about the strength of people's leanings.
Old 11-14-2005, 07:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It should be pretty clear that somebody with Paul's specific knowledge and insight would be a great value to this forum. He's one of the more active pros in terms of being online, visable and sharing his opinions.

[/ QUOTE ]

you would think that, but go through his last 28 posts and see if more than 4 have any value.
Old 11-14-2005, 07:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It should be pretty clear that somebody with Paul's specific knowledge and insight would be a great value to this forum. He's one of the more active pros in terms of being online, visable and sharing his opinions.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is beside the point. His absense is his choice. He basically said, "You make one mistake and I am gone" and the inevitable mistake happened and he went.

Plus, he acted like a child (but that is also beside the point)
Old 11-14-2005, 07:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The problem many posters are apparently having stems from this strange desire to equivocate.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-14-2005, 07:52 PM

I'm just saying why, in theory, it would be nice to have him around. I understand that A- he won't be B- he wasn't exactly posting up a storm of excellence.

However, I think that that's partially because the tone of this forum has been really lousy for about a year, and in theory that's something I can try and help do something about.
Old 11-14-2005, 07:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Paul clearly wishes to be thought of as someone far more significant than the average poster here.

[/ QUOTE ]

And clearly he is. Do you think that there would be hundreds of posts in response and a poll from Mason if this was just an average 300-post Joe Schmo being banned?

[/ QUOTE ]

Like I said in my original post, being more important in some ways than other poster should not equate to better treatment, which is what he essentially requested by demanding that his posts never be deleted lest he deem the forum unworthy.
Old 11-14-2005, 07:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you would think that, but go through his last 28 posts and see if more than 4 have any value.

[/ QUOTE ]

Small sample size + hypercritical numerical ratio re: metaphysical term (value) = comment lacking even metavalue.

Yes, this post contains self-referential irony.
Old 11-14-2005, 08:20 PM

You value intelligence more than politeness? Do you mean as far as how it can benefit you? or do you mean you value it more in a person in general?
Old 11-14-2005, 08:38 PM

More in a person in general is what I was thinking.

For me, I find intelligence more useful, but I still am polite most of the time.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:09 PM

Like I said before, I think banning him was ridiculous. At the same time, his comments from his blog are really churlish, and his justification of his Nazi line is just wrong. SO yeah, he does come off as arrogant, and he really doesn't seem to care all that much what others think, since he seems to already have all the answers...
Closed Thread