Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2005, 04:56 PM

Default Re: Dammit Paul! Yer not making it easy for us to worship you.

[ QUOTE ]
And as much of an ass as I think Todd came off during the WSOP episode, all I can think of when I hear Paul Phillips talk down on him is the Heads-Up championship against Hellmuth, where Phillips acted like he was on drugs and screamed multiple times like a wild banshee.

Now THAT was a textbook example of making an ass of yourself on national tv.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gotta agree with this one. PP on the Heads Up Championship was the strangest I've ever seen one person act on a televised poker event, even more so than Druff. Anytime you get to see Hellmuth actually have to ignore someone else, it makes for some classic TV.

It barely edges "Quack Quack's" behavior at a WPT Event I can't remember the name of. Druff's chair cover swinging was top 5, however.
Old 09-17-2005, 07:53 PM

The reason Paul gets attention is that he has a long history of a) writing useful and perceptive material and b) cleverly torching lamers. Take one hour reading his old RGP posts, and I guarantee you'll learn something.

His material success has virtually nothing to do with it.
Old 09-17-2005, 11:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
And as much of an ass as I think Todd came off during the WSOP episode, all I can think of when I hear Paul Phillips talk down on him is the Heads-Up championship against Hellmuth, where Phillips acted like he was on drugs and screamed multiple times like a wild banshee.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gotta agree with this one. PP on the Heads Up Championship was the strangest I've ever seen one person act on a televised poker event, even more so than Druff. Anytime you get to see Hellmuth actually have to ignore someone else, it makes for some classic TV.

It barely edges "Quack Quack's" behavior at a WPT Event I can't remember the name of. Druff's chair cover swinging was top 5, however.

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't see it, but I'm pretty sure I heard somewhere that he was obviously spoofing PH's own past outlandish behavior, and since he's been riding PH for a long time for acting like an ass, seems pretty likely that's what he was doing. Might have come off as less than entirely clear, but that does seem like a likely explanation...
Old 09-18-2005, 05:39 AM

Paul's shenanigans are cheeky, and fun.

Druff's shenanigans are cruel.. and tragic..

evil shenanigans.
Old 09-18-2005, 08:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't see it, but I'm pretty sure I heard somewhere that he was obviously spoofing PH's own past outlandish behavior, and since he's been riding PH for a long time for acting like an ass, seems pretty likely that's what he was doing. Might have come off as less than entirely clear, but that does seem like a likely explanation...

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably true--he very might have been playing off Hellmuth's image.

Unfortunately, that wouldn't have been apparent to the average viewer the way it was shown on NBC.