Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2005, 02:59 PM

Default Re: Am I a pussy or just being smart?

I play the $100, $200, and occasionally sneak onto a $400 table (which I don't have the bankroll for).

I would observe that the $200 often plays similarly to the $100 -- you can get in some juicy $200 games, though they might be slightly less common than at $100.

My advice -- play one table at the $200 for a day or two to get used to it. Then go to two tables for a couple days, and take it from there. You'll get used to the idea of *possibly* losing $200 at a clip fairly quickly ... and to preflop raises of $8 rather than $4. (Actually, some people seem to do $7.)

Your game is probably more than ready for the $400, but I think you'll feel more comfortable after beating the $200.
Old 08-20-2005, 10:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like the idea of playing one table of the $200-$400 and several tables of the $100. It will help you ease into the limits gradually.

[/ QUOTE ]I tried this and was contantly misbetting preflop, either too little on the big table or too much on the little tables.
Old 08-21-2005, 04:06 AM

you are a pussy.
Old 08-21-2005, 04:49 AM

What limits you play should not be affected directly by bankroll size.

You really should move up, but you shouldn't just jump into 400 nl. I recommend just moving up to the 200 nl, until you feel like a comfortable winner at that level. When you are a comfortable winner there, then move up to 400 nl.

You want to get eased into harder competition. Even though Bill Gates has the bankroll for like 200/400 nl, doesn't mean that's what he should play, he should start out at 25 nl until he can beat those players, then he should continue moving up as he feels he can beat each level of players.

That's just my opinion anyways.

Also, I don't totally like the idea of 3-tabling the 100 nl while 1-tabling the 400 nl. I think it'd be BEST to 2-table the 200 nl or if you really want to do 400 nl go ahead and 1-table 400 nl. You'll get a better feel for the players, and there will be less risk. When you can make really good reads on players, that's playing poker. When you 4-table, you just make base assumptions on how people play and hope your general strategy is good enough.